Hi Damien,  I've just been reading through forum info & your info pages on printing & CMYK etc.  I'm at the pointy end now of wanting to get my flyer printed by Moo.com.

I've been reading through their specifications & this is what they require of me when uploading my own design etc.  

These are the requirements they list out.

- Output option Adobe PDF/X-1a:2001

- In the colour box select: Coated FOGRA39

This above section I understand, it's just this bit I'm not sure about.

- Make sure all fonts are embedded or outlined.

I have my flyer with all of it's text layers & design layers in tact for obvious reasons.  I've made sure my text size is larger than the minimum size recommended for printing.  I've chosen colours that should print well, dark coloured text on a light background.

Are you able to offer advice on the above bit?

Cheers, Sam

They suggest the following:

1. Try to keep text in bold colours, made up of one or two inks only (C, M, Y or K).
  2. When printing lines in a solid or dark colour, make sure they are no thinner than 0.5pt. If you're using a lighter colour, we recommend 1pt.

2 minutes ago, Samantha_R said:
  1. Try to keep text in bold colours, made up of one or two inks only (C, M, Y or K).

Yes, this is what I needed.  They're dead right.

So, the million-dollar question: Have you created this design in RGB or CMYK?

Of course!  I'm just plugging away at my marketing material, so no rush at all.  Just getting to the pointy end on this flyer!

I'm not sure, I downloaded their template to use & just put my text in etc.  Is this what you mean?

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 2.12.37 pm.png

Fantastic!  Then most of the battle is already won.

Ok, so I need some more info:

1. What colour is the light blue "Color Fill 2" layer?  I mean, what are its C M Y and K values?
  2. Likewise, what colour is the black text?  What are its C M Y and K values?
  3. And what colour is the grey text at the bottom?

11 hours ago, Samantha_R said:

1. 51, 29, 22, 5

... but its opacity is lowered, yes?

You need to create a replacement layer, at 100% opacity, to match it.   And it must be made up ONLY of cyan and black, if at all possible.  Maybe, if necessary, a tiny bit of magenta OR yellow, but NOT both.

2. 82, 74, 52, 65

Text must be 100% black only.

3. gift voucher text colour is the same as point 2, it has a colour overlay at 49% & the blend mode is: colour burn.  Is that enough info for point 3?

This is madness.  The same as point one, you need to replace this with plain text at 100% opacity (none of this colour overlay nonsense) made up of ONLY black (presumably about 50%).  No cyan, magenta or yellow.

13 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

... but its opacity is lowered, yes?

Yes sorry, I missed that bit.  It's at 22%  

You need to create a replacement layer, at 100% opacity, to match it.   And it must be made up ONLY of cyan and black, if at all possible.  Maybe, if necessary, a tiny bit of magenta OR yellow, but NOT both.

So I've done the replacement layer, 100% opacity, with CMYK as follows: 10, 3, 0, 2

Does that colour work for the purpose of printing under these specifications?

Ok, I'll change text to Black only.  

This is madness.  The same as point one, you need to replace this with plain text at 100% opacity (none of this colour overlay nonsense) made up of ONLY black (presumably about 50%).  No cyan, magenta or yellow.

Right, so I think I'm losing my mind, I've changed all the text to black, but am I really tired or does it not look black?  Especially the GIFT VOUCHER text?  I've checked that opacity is at 100% - or am I just being a proper muppet?  Or I've been looking at it too long.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 8.59.05 pm.png

Oh yep, ok.  Just make sure it's a plain white gradient, NO blend modes.

Yes, the black text will look less than black on your screen.  Don't worry about it, it's just that it's hard to represent ink colours on a screen.  However, if you wanted to add 10% cyan to the black text, that wouldn't do any harm.

Now, may I suggest looking closely at the text itself.  The punctuation is clumsy, and the spacing isn't very nice in my opinion.

The gradient is plain white & definitely no blend modes.  Could I reduce the opacity or leave it at 100% - I like how it's a bit muted as such.

I'm happy with plain black text for printing purposes.  For electronic versions I can use the colours I had originally I suppose.

I started playing with the text & such this morning to make it better.  

I'm not sure how to best place the text?  The spacing has been bothering me but I don't know how to make it better.   Would I make a layer for each sentence?  So I can move the layer to get the spacing I want?

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 11.40.11 am.png

16 minutes ago, Samantha_R said:

The gradient is plain white & definitely no blend modes.  Could I reduce the opacity or leave it at 100% - I like how it's a bit muted as such.

Yes, it's quite safe to play with opacity.

16 minutes ago, Samantha_R said:

I'm not sure how to best place the text?  The spacing has been bothering me but I don't know how to make it better.   Would I make a layer for each sentence?  So I can move the layer to get the spacing I want?

Gosh no, don't use multiple layers, that will drive you nuts!

Just make better use of Leading.  This setting:

leading.png.9940f2aea77266858aebbb326c56ccb0.png

And the paragraph spacing:

paraspacing.png.c17e5f4c19a76ea8ed657f1a9d02e1f9.png

• Like 1