New iMac and new Snyder pro 5

I am having a hard time calibrating my monitor. I have read Damien's tutorial several times.

I am matching my color profile to my prints (as best I can) looking at color, brightness and contrast.

Then I move to calibration (lights down).

I am wondering when I am looking at my image on the monitor for comparison should I be looking at it through photoshop? Sense this is my working software.

And at the end of calibration when I am comparing should I be comparing that the image on screen looks like the image in hand? Or should it look like what I think is correct?

I am so darn confused. I have corresponded with printer and basically from them I am trying to match my print in hand as closely as possible to what I see on the screen.

My image from them is dark and green.

TIA

I also have three different images and when I am search through display profiles one may match image #1 but image #2 does not match that display profile at all. 

You have an iMac, is that right?

What calibrator do you have?

7 hours ago, Inkelaar said:

I also have three different images and when I am search through display profiles one may match image #1 but image #2 does not match that display profile at all.

Could you post the three photos here for me?

I have been back and forth so many times this week I fill dizzy.

I recalibrate this morning to your suggestions and will get prints back Monday. I emailed ahead and they said that this last batch was brighter and not green on their end. We shall see if I am close Monday.

My settings at the moment are

gamma 2.2

white point 6500 ( I know you said not usually the case with Mac) I got that by choosing a profile that best matched my prints I had in hand that were green

brightness do not adjust  (I adjusted to match image) I adjusted early on and again to match 86 I believe

8 hours ago, Inkelaar said:

I am wondering when I am looking at my image on the monitor for comparison should I be looking at it through photoshop? Sense this is my working software

Yes, always Photoshop.  Or Bridge.

8 hours ago, Inkelaar said:

And at the end of calibration when I am comparing should I be comparing that the image on screen looks like the image in hand? Or should it look like what I think is correct?

No, what you "think" is completely irrelevant.  The screen should match the prints in your hand, period.  Even if the prints are terrible, the screen should be exactly the same shade of terrible.

so at the end of calibration they should look just like the crap in your hand?

Because I get them looking like the image in my hand per your steps and then when I move through the actual calibration it will warm up. uggggg what am I doing wrong?

ok not sure if this makes a difference ......I just finished a session and uploaded these images I shot around 5200k 5500k they looked fine on back of camera monitor and they are blue/green on my iMac I calibrated this morning.

thank you for your help

I feel like a fish out of water 

17 minutes ago, Inkelaar said:

so at the end of calibration they should look just like the crap in your hand?

Exactly.

17 minutes ago, Inkelaar said:

Because I get them looking like the image in my hand per your steps and then when I move through the actual calibration it will warm up. uggggg what am I doing wrong?

25 minutes ago, Inkelaar said:

white point 6500 ( I know you said not usually the case with Mac) I got that by choosing a profile that best matched my prints I had in hand that were green

Are you saying that Native gave you a warmer result than 6500K?

8 minutes ago, Inkelaar said:

ok not sure if this makes a difference ......I just finished a session and uploaded these images I shot around 5200k 5500k they looked fine on back of camera monitor and they are blue/green on my iMac I calibrated this morning.

No, that's irrelevant.

my white point now is 6500k this was after it calibrated......

previous lab was spot on but terribly slow

this new lab is the only other I have tested with

you may wonder what the heck?

I sent for prints about two weeks ago (new print co.) they were green..

I followed your tut....got images they were pretty good....but I wanted a little more accurate so went with what this new lab said calibrated to that, sent prints and green again..........

so here I sit........

waiting on my original lab from the first calibration 

have three sets from the printer I would like to use....green,decent,green

so now today I decided lets go back to Damiens tut recalibrate and hope I get something decent and reorder a 4 batch from new printer that they say looks good now.

~B

yes I have a tone of crap green prints here.......

I know this is going to sound nuts but I have thought about this to hard and I am sure making more of it than there is

once I get a correct match with printer do I need to re-edit all my images for clients who have the crap color profile?

Thank you for your help.

I will jump back here after Monday.

i am still curious about this process .

i have got to be doing something wrong when I set the color display to match the crap image and then set up spider >calibrate to only come back to the image looking nice and not crap green.

17 hours ago, Inkelaar said:

pulled darks up.jpg

pulledupdarkandaddedredtoskin.jpg

adjusted1.jpg

I forgot to say, these are great.  Not dark or green at all.  (Well, the backgrounds in the first two are dark because of your heavy vignette, but the people are perfect).

There is no reason for these files to print badly.

The images I do have from old lab were edited on my old computer. Which I never calibrated. (Don't scream) but it always printed good.

this new Mac printed well with my old lab. But I don't have any of those images. That  were edited with this new computer. :/ All given to my clients.

i love the old lab and quality takes time I get it my clients dont. Everyone wants their prints yesterday