Printing from Canon Pixma Pro 100

Hi Damien, I'm having huge problems and I'm super frustrated. I have the Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. I've gone through your sharpening class and my prints are awesomely sharp, but they're printing gray and dull and ugly. When I save them I make sure to check the sRGB box and embed profile box. I've searched my manual and internet and can't find a straightforward answer as to what settings I should have the printer on. Should Photoshop manage the colours? Should the printer manage the colours? What profile do I use? Do you know any of these answers or have an idea of who I could ask? Thanks, Stephanie

Capture.PNG

First, a couple of questions arising from your screenshot ...

Why are you showing me the "Export" window?  For what purpose are you using that function?

Why is the image showing as "Layer 0" in the Layers panel?  Did this happen after you cropped?  If so, it seems like you might have "Delete Cropped Pixels" unchecked in your crop tool options bar?

I use the Export window when saving.  If I don't click Embed Profile, my JPGs are ugly and gray too.

It says Layer 0 because I took a quick screen shot on a photo I was working on but wasn't completed just so I could show the Export screen.

15 minutes ago, OTOSPhotos said:

I use the Export window when saving.

Oh, gosh.  WHY?

If I don't click Embed Profile, my JPGs are ugly and gray too.

Yes, correct.  You must never uncheck that box, anywhere, ever.

It says Layer 0 because I took a quick screen shot on a photo I was working on but wasn't completed just so I could show the Export screen.

Oh, ok, gotcha.

Good.  Welcome back to the real world.  Please don't use that Export shit again.

Now, back on topic.  May I see a screenshot of your print settings window?

35 minutes ago, OTOSPhotos said:

Should Photoshop manage the colours? Should the printer manage the colours?

The reason you can't find a straight answer to this is it's a complex issue.  Do you have a specific profile for your printer/paper combination?

4 minutes ago, OTOSPhotos said:

I wanted to be able to do my own printing in house.

I have always said this is a foolish course of action, and you're beginning to see why.  Printing your own is an expensive, frustrating hassle.  I wish you'd asked me before pursuing this.

5 minutes ago, OTOSPhotos said:

I haven't tried a pro lab.

You HAVE to have a set of prints from a pro lab.  Without them, you can't calibrate your screen.  Prints from your own printer are NOT sufficient for checking screen calibration.

Plus, you have absolutely no idea if your home printer is printing correctly without reference pro lab prints.

Please order them immediately, and we'll continue this conversation once they arrive.

Or, make the break now. Sell your printer to some other sucker, and rid yourself of this burden.  Print at a lab, and get on with your business.

Look, until we have a basis for judgement, we can't tell what your prints should look like.  We're flying blind here.  Please order those prints.

Is this the screen you get when you hit the "Print Settings" button?

Capture4.PNG

1 minute ago, OTOSPhotos said:

Ok.  I will order prints.  But shouldn't they look like my screen if I'm calibrated

We don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We can't know if you're calibrated correctly if you haven't compared your screen to pro lab prints.

1 minute ago, OTOSPhotos said:

Yes, that is Print Settings.

Yeah, it does seem like double-handling, doesn't it?  The problem lies in there somewhere.

Either you need to find how to turn off the printer settings, as it advises ...

disable.png.0669a415aa617b4bfbdd69a508b35723.png

... or choose "Let printer handle colors".

I've tried it both ways and they come out the exact same.  

First I did Photoshop Manages Colours and was able to turn off the printer profile.  Ugly, gray, yuck.

Then I did Printer Manages Colours and that's when I went into where the last screenshot about Manual Adjustment to turn the printer profile back on but it doesn't seem to make a difference either.