But the images uploaded to the client galleries have been cropped at 11:15. 

I just didn't ever take notice of this setting from my online client garllery site and wanted to be sure if I needed or didn't need to change anything with this setting.

My solution is the 11:15 crop.  11:15 is the exact median shape in the center of all the standard print shapes.  2:3 is the longest (6×4, 8×12), 4:5 is the shortest (8×10, 16×20), and 11:15 is right in the middle:

11-15-diagram.jpg

I recommend cropping your customers’ files at the 11:15 shape.  This way, no matter what print size they choose, only a small amount of detail will be lost.  I also recommend cropping a tinybit looser than you normally would, to allow for pixel loss during printing.

??????

On 10/16/2017 at 8:55 AM, margaretbonson said:

So I checked my website, and this is what I found

Suggested Image Sizes

For Online Presentation Only - Images should be around 1,100 pixels by 850 pixels up to 1,550 pixels by 960 pixels.

Remember how you found this?  The bolded part is really important.  These sizes are for online presentation only.  They're MUCH too small to be downloaded and printed.

At this point in the thread, we were just discussing how to put your photos on your website for people to view them.  At least, that's what I thought we were discussing.

On 10/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, margaretbonson said:

Sounds good, thanks.

If you want to me to start a different thread with this question please let me know, otherwise...

I am currently preparing client files by editing only in ACR, can you point me in the right direction on how to save these files for their client galleries I am delivering them? Keep in mind - I have not taken the layers and masks or print sharpening class. 

Can I save as from ACR? I am attaching a screen shot of settings that appear when I click save as in ACR.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 6.29.43 AM.png

When you posted this question, I didn't realise you were talking about the same website.  I assumed people would be viewing the photos on your website, and telling you which ones they'd like to order; then you would prepare those photos in high-resolution (at 11:15) and email them to them.

But was I wrong about that?

At this point in the thread, we were just discussing how to put your photos on your website for people to view them.  At least, that's what I thought we were discussing.

Yes, you are correct on that.

When you posted this question, I didn't realise you were talking about the same website.  I assumed people would be viewing the photos on your website, and telling you which ones they'd like to order; then you would prepare those photos in high-resolution (at 11:15) and email them to them.

So far my method for preparing digital files for clients to download and print is

1. edit in ACR (as I already know you disapprove of as far as it's not enough, i'm on track to change this)

2. save as jpeg  - - THIS IS WHERE I'm NOT sure of the exact steps on how to save and prepare a high resolution file

3. upload to the website I use for clients to view their photos AND have full access to download and print as they please

4. At this point I do NOT have a printing service set up through my business yet. I am reviewing different pro labs and order prints to see how I like, etc. 

5. SO ... with all that being said - - My questions are:

How do I prepare high resolution images for clients to download and print as they please?

1 hour ago, margaretbonson said:

3. upload to the website I use for clients to view their photos AND have full access to download and print as they please

You need to have a website which allows you to host full-resolution files.  Maybe you need to pay for a pro subscription or something like that?

Presentation and Printing:

You have two options if you plan on using your account for presentation and online print ordering.

You can upload low-resolution files only for presentation and when an order for a photoproduct is placed, then upload a replacement high-resolution file before the order goes to the vendor. This is useful if you have a large number of photos to upload but expect to print only a few of them.

Please see the Help section on replacing files during Order Approval

Alternatively, you can choose to upload from the beginning high-resolution files that are optimized for printing. To safeguard your images, you always have the option to limit the display size of your photos as you see fit.

Do you think it's worth calling Zenfolio to discuss? I'm trying to finalize a senior shoot and need to sleep well at night that I'm uploading high resolution images or just uploading them the correct way. 

I just need to know how to prepare a photo that the client can download and print, themselves. (due to not having set up printing services yet)

Thanks again for following through with this for me. Much appreciated.

Edited by margaretbonson

4 hours ago, margaretbonson said:

I just need to know how to prepare a photo that the client can download and print, themselves.

Oh, that's easy.  Just choose the Crop Tool, and enter "15in" and "11in" in the Width and Height fields of the options bar, and make sure the Resolution field remains blank.  This last part is REALLY important - you must not impose a resolution.

Then crop, and save the jpeg at Level 10.

4 minutes ago, margaretbonson said:

Because  Your last comment about cropping 11x15, saving 10 jpeg is what I've been doing. 

Ok, and you've been uploading them to the site?

And have you downloaded any of them again (as if you were a client) to see if they're still the same size?

Well, that's vital, right?  We need to know if Zenfolio is shrinking your files.

So, find one one your computer that you know you uploaded.  Check what its pixel dimensions are, and its file size in megabytes.  Both of these stats are important.

Then download that file.  Check its pixel dimensions, and file size.  Let me know how they compare.