Colour Profile Newspaper Printing

G'Day Damian,

A newspaper that I supply images for has asked that I check to see if I am using the "correct colour profile" for Photoshop cc ( MAC), however they have never actually supplied me with the profile until now.  I have two files from them 1- Adobe color settings file and 2- ICC file. How do I check this? I have gone to Edit- Colour settings and looks like the next step might be import?

Side note, my work flow is as follows I use Lightroom ( I know, I know your not a fan!!) to import, batch edit with basic changes, then I take 3-4 images at a time into Photoshop which I edit as layers, then export the final completed TIF file back to LR, and so on until I have finished and once completed I will have approx. 10-20 completed images, which I then resize into low res and high res files exported from LR as a batch.

Cheers

Ange

22 minutes ago, Ange said:

A newspaper that I supply images for has asked that I check to see if I am using the "correct colour profile" for Photoshop cc ( MAC), however they have never actually supplied me with the profile until now.  I have two files from them 1- Adobe color settings file and 2- ICC file. How do I check this? I have gone to Edit- Colour settings and looks like the next step might be import?

You're right.  In Color Settings, you should be able to import the color settings file they've sent you.

However, it's most probably necessary to make sure you've put the ICC file in the correct folder first.  Did they give you any guidance about that?  I'm afraid I don't know where profiles go on a Mac, though I vaguely recall it might be Library>ColorSync, or something like that?

25 minutes ago, Ange said:

Side note, my work flow is as follows I use Lightroom ( I know, I know your not a fan!!) to import, batch edit with basic changes, then I take 3-4 images at a time into Photoshop which I edit as layers, then export the final completed TIF file back to LR, and so on until I have finished and once completed I will have approx. 10-20 completed images, which I then resize into low res and high res files exported from LR as a batch.

And why are you putting up with this?  Why not switch to the workflow which was actually designed for this?

https://www.damiensymonds.net/examining-the-complexities-of-an-acr-workflow.html

Thanks! No idea all I have done so far is to download the file!  It's sitting in the download box!!

A quick google look comes up with this as the saved location- In Mac OS, copy profiles into the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder or the /Users/[username]/Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder.

But after I import the file how do I check it is either the same as what I have been using or not? Follow step 2 from this? http://www.damiensymonds.net/art_newsprint.html

I don't supply CMYK files as the program they use to upload converts it and I've been told no need to supply CMYK files.

Yes sure will do this shortly but before I do, I need to understand that by adding this colour profile will it effect my workflow for this type of work that I do? Eg the same images that I edit need to be used and resized for for the Interent, for brochures and then the press. So how do I change the colour profile after I have edited each image? I am finding it hard to put this question into writing!! Sorry.

Ok, straight away we know they're idiots, because their working RGB space is Adobe RGB.  So we can completely ignore those settings they've sent you.

However, your settings aren't right either.  You should always be on "North America General Purpose 2".

3 hours ago, Ange said:

A newspaper that I supply images for has asked that I check to see if I am using the "correct colour profile" for Photoshop cc

To clarify this point, are they asking you to send them CMYK files?

Ok. How do I change that over so it becomes a permanent setting?

No I have always been told to supply JPEG as the program that they use to upload the files converts the JPEG to CMYK and if I supplied a CMKY file it would be double converted and creat funky colours. Would you like me to double check this tomorrow?

I am just heading out for 30mins and will be back then.

1 minute ago, Ange said:

Ok. How do I change that over so it becomes a permanent setting?

Once you change it, it should stick.

1 minute ago, Ange said:

No I have always been told to supply JPEG as the program that they use to upload the files converts the JPEG to CMYK and if I supplied a CMKY file it would be double converted and creat funky colours.

They're damn right about that!

Ok, this is great news!  Then just keep supplying the sRGB files you always have.

Was there a particular problem or issue that prompted this discussion?

This is the only spot I can see where to change over to "North America General Purpose 2". Is that correct to change?

The issue was with a malfunction with the printing press and then it was questioned ( third party) that they thought maybe (my) colours were not as bright as others supplied. So the printers  wanted to know profile I was using.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 7.19.00 PM.png

16 minutes ago, Ange said:

This is the only spot I can see where to change over to "North America General Purpose 2". Is that correct to change?

Yes, that's correct.

16 minutes ago, Ange said:

The issue was with a malfunction with the printing press and then it was questioned ( third party) that they thought maybe (my) colours were not as bright as others supplied. So the printers  wanted to know profile I was using.

This sounds like clutching-at-straws bullshit on their part.  If you are calibrated with an X-Rite, and your screen is a good match for professional lab prints, they can't pin anything on you.

6 hours ago, Ange said:

G'Day Damian,

Cheers

Ange

Yes, when I export from LR the file stetting for the colour profile is sRGB.

Yes, when I export from LR the file stetting for the colour profile is sRGB.

Hi Damien,

Apologies I didn't see your comments as I actually didn't receive any email notifications about your post. Funny I was just coming back to this thread, as I have a new profile to load and wanted to check the steps again. I have done exactly the same as above ( In Mac OS, copy profiles into the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder or the /Users/[username]/Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder.) and then go to ( Edit>Color Settings, and load the color settings file they sent you.) the file is there however it is greyed out and I am unable to select it to load?