I'll be away for most of Thursday (Aussie time) (approx Wednesday evening USA time). So sorry about the short notice.  I'll catch up on all posts when I get back.  Damien.

Brettaney

Fall Sun Flare

Sign in to follow this  

Okay, I'm stumped. How did you make that gradient fill layer like that? I know how to add a gradient fill layer, but I can't figure out how you got it that colour and on an angle. I know I can just copy the layer on to my own photo, but I'd like to know how to do it myself too.

Well, have you opened it to examine it?  It's a radial gradient, and you should be able to see the various colour and opacity stops I used.

Yes, I have. I can only find the top box in your screenshot, not the bottom one. How do I get to that one?
Edit : Nevermind, I found it :) Thanks.

Edited by Brettaney

Okay, here's my go at it. I toned down the red to an orange. I also added a hue/sat layer to all but the people to make the fall colours pop a little more. How does it look? Can I make the flare have a little more of a starburst effect to it? Just something subtle.

IMG_8159.thumb.jpg.2d06ab488786c51f41842e20427a93b2.jpg

If the sun was that low for real, the haze would be affecting the people at least to a degree.  I think you should let some of it spill onto them.

Easy enough to add some "rays".  Add a white Solid Color layer above the gradient layer, and clip it thereto.  Then invert the mask.  Then with a very low opacity white brush, paint some strokes outwards from the middle of the "sun".

rays.png.c0e048f46bf0bc6d957a897049488ede.png

How does it look? I moved the sun back up, do you think it's high enough that it wouldn't be spilling on them? I also added the rays.
IMG_8159.thumb.jpg.d5c91b160eb924b349e4f05bf53c8444.jpg

I would love to see this file if it is still available and not a hassle to reload. Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, msn said:

I would love to see this file if it is still available and not a hassle to reload. Thanks in advance!

No problem, thanks for asking.  Just updated the link.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to update the link again on this file?  I would like to try it!  Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, TracyB said:

Would it be possible to update the link again on this file?  I would like to try it!  Thanks in advance.

No problem.  Done.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Done.

Thanks I have a shot of some white gum trees that already have some rays in but I wanted to pull them out a bit more- cheers.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 2:19 AM, Damien Symonds said:

Done.

Can I get the psd for this one too please?