How to achieve the popular Mastin lab look

This one really interests me.  When you do creative edits like this, does skin just go out the window?  I currently look at CMYK values as I do your Skin action to help me judge.  When you use a "preset" or effect like this, do you just ignore those values?  Also, if you were going to adjust this to an ACR preset, would you just mess in the Hue/Sat tab?

2 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

This one really interests me.  When you do creative edits like this, does skin just go out the window?

Oh yes.

2 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

Also, if you were going to adjust this to an ACR preset, would you just mess in the Hue/Sat tab?

Midtone contrast first, then yes, Hue/Sat.

Mary - I like what it does to the background colours - particularly the greens and maroon type colours. I don't like what it does to skin, so if I were to use this I would only do it to the background and the strong colours, not the skin.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:24 AM, Mary Burgy said:

This one really interests me.  When you do creative edits like this, does skin just go out the window?  I currently look at CMYK values as I do your Skin action to help me judge.  When you use a "preset" or effect like this, do you just ignore those values?  Also, if you were going to adjust this to an ACR preset, would you just mess in the Hue/Sat tab?

Where do I gain knowledge of the skin action and what to look for in CMYK values to achieve good skin tone?