Calibration Questions from Grace for Damien.

Just now, GraceCJG said:

I am starting to learn photoshop, but honestly, I still cannot even resize a photo in it yet... I am clueless with post production.

Well, you're going to have to learn the basics in a mighty hurry, because if you're not using Photoshop, all this worry about calibration is entirely pointless.

6 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Ok, let's take this one step at a time.  Have you opened the photo in Photoshop and done this check yet?

Okay I followed the instructions in this link and checked, and made a picture 

File.jpg

Edited by GraceCJG

5 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Please report in, @GraceCJG!

Still working on it.

1. Successfully completed adjusting Firefox from your wonderful article!

2. Downloaded and installed Spyder 5 Pro software.

3. Adjusted and checked the lighting in the room.  Created a desk tent over my monitor to make the lighting consistent (My room has 7 windows and 1 lamp. The lamp is not in my home made tent atop my desk. The tent is just a smaller table resting on top of a longer table with blankets and towels appropriately tucked and a place for my head to pop in. It  seems to work fantastically for the daytime when details are harder to see on the screen, due to the level of light in my room. It does not seem to be needed at night, where I either have 1 lamp on or all lights off and just the monitor lighting the room. The tent fort for photography took some doing but seems like it will work well. 

4. still fighting the 6 unmarked buttons on my screen and waiting to calibrate screen till I can figure out how to make them work consistently.

5. Plan on getting back to it at my first available slot, right after work tomorrow night.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Well, you're going to have to learn the basics in a mighty hurry, because if you're not using Photoshop, all this worry about calibration is entirely pointless.

No worries, it's not quite as bad as it sounds! I have been learning basics as fast as I can . I have been using photoshop's camera raw filter for most of my editing when it concerns an image being too dark or other minor issues. And can successfully get rid of bug and dust issues. Resizing an image isn't one I have learned yet, as I never change the size of my images prior to sending them to the print place.  Still need to learn to create a watermark and obviously resize in photoshop prior to getting the site up and running. Luckily the prints I completed came out really well. Unfortunately I had already edited 45 files in photoshop before I learned calibrating my screen was a crucial item on the "to dos" of photo editing. Hopefully I won't have to start over and re-edit all of them. I guess, I will find out once I get this screen calibrated. 

If I calibrate at night will a single lamp on behind me be a problem?  I am guessing given the 7 windows in the room, night would be the best time to do this.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No no no no no no no no no.  You must work in good bright light.

I've tried it with all the windows open in the day, but, it's so bright in my room, my eyes cannot make out a lot of the detail on the images. What would  the proper solution be?

1 minute ago, GraceCJG said:

If I calibrate at night will a single lamp on behind me be a problem?  I am guessing given the 7 windows in the room, night would be the best time to do this.

You're right, calibration is best done in dim light.  But editing must be done in lovely light light.

Just now, GraceCJG said:

I've tried it with all the windows open in the day, but, it's so bright in my room, my eyes cannot make out a lot of the detail on the images. What would  the proper solution be?

That means your screen's brightness is much too high.

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

But don't worry, the Spyder calibration process will take care of that.

3 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

You're right, calibration is best done in dim light.  But editing must be done in lovely light light.

It is super bright, with a white/blue feel from my eyes point of view. When not editing photos I usually turn on f.lux to give my eyes a warmer light rest. Hopefully calibration will fix the screen enough so I can edit in the daylight. I just lose all sense of details till I can make it either darker around the screen with my tent or wait till night

Edited by GraceCJG

On 7/10/2018 at 10:38 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, that's very common for all screens before they've been calibrated.  Don't worry, the calibration process will guide you.

Hi Damien!

Just now back from being ill.  Here is the latest update.  1. I am in the process of attempting to create better lighting in my room.  2. I have contacted the screen manufacturer company, and figured out how to operate the 6 unmarked buttons.  3. I have examined 3 prints in comparison with the screen. I adjusted brightness and contrast to the closest match. I set the ecolor management management temperature to "warm."  I have fiddled with these settings for sometime, as the pre-calibration instructions you wrote suggested. 

However, no matter what I do, my prints actually look brighter than my screen. What I mean is the colors in the prints are a brighter deeper color, and the screen is not even showing some of the colors it is so dim at the moment, it seems to have the same deeper color but it is so dark the shade of the color either looks ridiculously less vibrant or just fades off into the dimness so much it isn't very perceivable. The lighter colors where there is yellow in the print has a sharper edge which does not show on the actual print, and keeps wanting to grab some yellow where the print looks more white. I can adjust that some but, it all seems rather mismatched at the moment . It is 1:21 in the afternoon, all 7 windows are open and it is a bright blue sky, so I think the brightness in the room is good at the moment.  basically I have gotten the print as good as I can, with the manual buttons prior to calibration, any ideas what I may have done wrong or, does this sound about right for a pre-calibrated screen look?  Best wishes and hope your weekend out was spectacular!  Blessings!  And Many Thanks!  Grace

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

Hang on, what do you mean by this?  Adjust it how?

I mean adjust the brightness and the contrast settings on the physical screen.  It just does not seem to really match the prints well no matter what I do. Waiting for it to get dark outside before I calibrate the screen. Some of the 7 windows don't have blinds... drat, just checked and all the settings on the screen are back to the previous settings I must have touched the wrong thing when trying to get into the menu just now, luckily I remember my numbers. Brightness was 92 and contrast I believe was 59.

25 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I'm really worried about you messing with the screen's contrast setting.  That should remain at the factory default setting.

I have set the contrast back to where it originally was at 50% (factory settings) and will only leave the brightness change at 92. It's already pretty dim here but I am going to see what I can do about calibrating now.

• Like 1

Damien,

I am in the first part of the calibration. I assume the fact that my monitor has a place to set it to warm cool etc. means I should check the kelvin presets box? yes/no?

24 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, although I hope we won't have to go too far down that path.

Okay the calibration just took a nose dive. I got to the part where you  pull the blinds down and start the spyder  5 pro up.  It went through all the colors fine then I got to the part where  you click update after adjusting the brightness then see what the read out is and continue to adjust.  I knocked the brightness down from 92 pre calibration brightness setting to 15!  Which made it give me a reading of 92. My screen looks super dim at the moment with a brightness of 15. The first read out before clicking update was my current screen brightness was 231.7. I adjusted, it went to 231.0 , I adjusted again it went to 241!  I hit cancel after I adjusted it down to 15 in order to get the reading of 92.  I am super confused.  What on earth did I do wrong?  Appreciate the time and patience Damien! Thank You!

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

A setting of 15 to get a reading of 91 sounds perfect!  Very very common numbers.

Alright I will re-start the calibration process and continue on from the setting at 15 for screen brightness and the output reading of 92. Thank You Damien!  The dim feel of the screen startled me as when I matched prints earlier I set the brightness of the screen to 92, so 15 seemed like a really wild change to set it at for an out put of 92.