O-kaaaaaay. First round of calibration gives me onscreen versions that are cooler than the prints (despite the greyish overlay in the prints). As you've pointed out, Miller Labs prints warm, not cool. Soooooooo, tomorrow morning, I'll recalibrate using one of the "D-numbers" instead of the "native" setting. I'll report my results on the morrow.

Time to go home and make supper.

17 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Are you certain your room lighting is not too warm?  That would exaggerate the problem.

Yes. The light-blocking shades are drawn; all doors to other rooms are closed; and the only light source (other than the monitor itself) is the 6 W, 4000 K, frosted LED bulb in my closet/office.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Are you certain your room lighting is not too warm?  That would exaggerate the problem.

I've spent the past 3 hours fiddling with calibration. I've been through the color spaces that gave me the closest approximations to what I'm seeing in the prints. I've both manually and, via the ColorMunki, adjusted the brightness of the monitor, from Native to 100. I created a table to record the various test options and their results.

At present, sRGB_D50_Native, with the monitor luminance dropped to zero (manually, before running the calibration) gives me the best results for the lower light level images, but still doesn't give me the grey "overlay" look in the prints. (Oddly, with the Luminance set to "Native", the calibrator completely skipped over the brightness/contrast test part of the process. Might this be a result of my manually setting the monitor's brightness to zero?)

For giggles, I used the ColorMunki's Ambient Light detection mode, to see how much light it thinks I'm using when editing photos. (When I edit, the drapes are closed, there is no other light from outside sources, other than my light bulb as described above, and the monitor.) The Ambient Light detector says I have, on average, 39 lumens of light in my office/closet space. Do I need more light in my workspace? (I have two more light bulbs and can probably rig an additional lamp or two, if necessary.)

I'm going to go out, do my grox shopping, and come back to this problem in a few hours. I'll check for your response(s) at that time.

Thank you.

p.s. - I couldn't get the quote box to go away. I hadn't meant to quote it again, but there it was.

Edited by LSSmith
added post script

2 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Well, how would you describe the light in your room?  It should be as bright as if you had the windows open and daylight flooding in.

Not even close. The brightest area in the room is directly under the LED bulb, which would be my desk.  I can read a book in the light provided, but I would not categorize it being at the brightness level of open window daylight. The rest of the room, which is at my back, is dark---not impenetrable gloom---but definitely dark.

• Sad 1

The print images are all warmer than the images on-screen....and have the grey film.

When I opened the drapes, I noticed that the window light was bluer than the closet light. That might be a function of the time of day, though.

It's important to remind you that even in bright midday sunlight, the grey overlay is patently obvious, as is the warmer tone.

I'm feeling utterly defeated, at this point.

16 minutes ago, LSSmith said:

The print images are all warmer than the images on-screen....and have the grey film.

You can't keep saying that.  You're approaching this all wrong.  You can't say "The prints yada yada yada".

You MUST express it in terms of the screen.  The screen is the variable here.

So, to clarify, the screen is too cold, and its colours are too vivid?

17 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

So, to clarify, the screen is too cold, and its colours are too vivid?

Yes, the colors on screen are too cold. This holds true whether the curtains are open or not, to allow as much sunlight as possible into the room, in addition to the lone bulb.

As for the colors being too vivid, I need to understand what "vivid" means to you, in the context of this discussion. I think that I may be conflating the terms "vivid", "warm", and "bright".

When I view the images on screen, no one color, or family of colors, "jumps out" at me. The subject and the background (whether an indoors shot, outdoor shade shot, and especially the backlit full-sun shots) appear harmonious. I hope that this description makes sense to you.

Opening the curtains has introduced a new factor: screen glare. My closet/office is directly opposite one of the windows. As I cannot continuously bob and weave to look at my screen while editing, this curtain, at least, will have to remain closed during editing.

Edited by LSSmith
add detail; ask for clarification

8 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Ok, and you've followed the troubleshooting part of my instructions to try to deal with this?

Yes, that's what I did, yesterday, by going through each option and recording the results. I'm perfectly happy to run a new set of results with new white point targets as the only changed variable, if you'd like for me to. (I'll keep all other variables---ie - monitor brightness manually set to 0; color space; etc.--- the same as they are now.)

Edited by LSSmith
clarifying a point; correcting spelling

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

No, right now I want you to calibrate the laptop screen.  Let's see if it gets any closer.  If the problem is exactly the same, that would suggest the calibrator is faulty.

Okie doke. I'm going to calibrate the laptop screen under the same lighting conditions as I did the monitor (drapes drawn; LED bulb the only source of light in the room).

Just had a thought. I am to calibrate the laptop screen as though it's never been calibrated before (which it hasn't), correct?

Addendum: In other words, I am not to set the calibration parameters (for calibrating the laptop screen) within Colormunki to the existing parameters for the monitor's screen. Is this correct?

Edited by LSSmith
addendum