Kris

Bridge Not Responding

I've been having trouble with Bridge not responding for at least a few weeks. I updated to the latest Bridge hoping that would help, but it didn't. Usually re-starting the PC solves the problem, but last night that didn't help & it's not working today either.  This morning I reset Bridge & chose the first 2 options but not the option to reset the Workspace & it's still not responding. 

I have a PC desktop running Windows 10 and Photoshop 21.0.1. It is under 12 months old, and has 32GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 1.1GB free out of 1.84GB. The last time I shut down was last night. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

Thanks!

Editing to add Bridge is version 10.1.1

image.thumb.png.7c3c2a14354b01f56e70815f2e5391bc.png

Edited by Kris

oops - 1.1 TB out of 1.84 TB free.

I forgot to mention I checked that too and no clues. Sometimes when I shut down I get a msg about something not closing. Im not home right now and can't remember exactly what it says but when I googled it refers to something about Adobe .  I'll be home tonight and will let you know. 

I got further into the folders before Bridge quit responding. Then I went to Task Manager & closed it.

The msg I sometimes get when shutting down is LogTransport2.exe not shutting down. The msg is brief & the PC shuts down & as far as I can tell it starts without any problems when I turn it on. I

image.thumb.png.da1164e27a46a4205478ff35e72db078.png

Bridge.jpg

Thanks for your time on this, hopefully I have it fixed.

I tried some of the steps from this page  https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge.html  Ctrl Alt Shift wasn't working so I had to go into Edit>Preferences>Cache; I checked everything that wasn't checked. In Cache Management I selected Compact Cache Now & Purge All Local Cache Files. Then I disabled all Startup Scripts.

image.thumb.png.d46636daf6f7a20db746f8fcab9a8255.png

image.thumb.png.c1bb2b08a9ce39ad2844140d18f8bd22.png

• Like 1

What sort of Antivirus Software are you running? When was the last time you installed Windows Updates? 

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 - successfully installed on 8/13/2020

I have Bitdefender Total Security; also have Malwarebytes Free 4.2.0.

Thanks, Brian!

Screenshots of the updates & optional updates in case that's helpful.

image.png

image.png

I just opened ACR & got this msg. I forgot I've gotten this msg in the past month. I click OK & continue to use the program & Photoshop.

image.thumb.png.7dcb45cca3466563b4ba8df4ed8f57fd.png

On 9/17/2020 at 11:16 PM, Kris said:

I forgot I've gotten this msg in the past month

Photoshop does not like your video drivers. I'm wondering if this is the source of your problems. What Make / Model is your computer? Is there software that checks to see if there are any driver updates?

@Brian  I have a Dell XPS 8930, new in Nov 2019. Windows Update shows up to date except for the Optional Updates listed above.  On 9-18-2020 Windows updated Intel Corporation – SoftwareComponent – 2.9.100.1 

When I hover over the icon in the task bar for NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver it shows update is available. I tried to update it yesterday & today &  got an error msg & to reboot. I did that both days & when hovering over the icon it doesn't show an update.  The other screenshot is what I get when I open NVIDIA.

I went to Dell to check for updates & downloaded their program - I haven't run any of those updates yet. 

Nvidia.jpg

Nvidia-2.jpg

Nvidia-3.jpg

2020-09-20 Dell updates.jpg

Yeah, you want to install Video Driver updates from DELL and not the manufacture. Even if it's a NVIDIA Card and you see a driver on NVIDIA's website. Dell does tweaking to the hardware / drivers that they put into their computers and it's always best to get these drivers via their software tool. Sometimes you can put in the Microsoft Drivers and they don't do much, if anything, at all. Most of the time you need to go to Dell and get updated drivers from them, especially for the video cards. The other stuff, like Chipset and USB seem to work with either the Microsoft or Dell versions.

I would go ahead and install those Dell Updates. One of the Updates is for your BIOS. Just make sure when you update, do not have anything else running and it will force you to reboot. With a BIOS update, things might sometimes appear to have locked up; I would leave it alone and let it do its thing. The downside is that there doesn't seem to be a video driver update, so you might have to call Dell for Support. Something is screwy with your video driver, Photoshop / Bridge is complaining & acting weird, especially since it won't update properly. Actually, thinking about it, it's probably detecting a Update on NVIDIA's website, so a phone call to Dell is likely in your future.

@Brian thank you for your help. I had trouble with some of the Dell Updates - appearing to be locked up just as you said. It looks like something updated, but the video driver is not working when I open ACR. I'll try running an update over night & will probably end up calling Dell this week.  

Chances are you are going to have to download a fresh copy, then manually remove the driver, reboot and then install the new video driver. Dell Tech Support should be able to help you with this, or at least point you in the right direction.

• Thanks 1