Tips on where to start

I can make the picture look good... I just don't edit in LR and you asked me just to lighten the shadows. Which is what I did. I've been playing around with the nik plugin and just with its sliders you can adjust the contrast and shadows to go from one extreme to the other. I'm not quite sure what you are wanting me to give you to start with. If you want a raw file I can't give it to you edited perfectly I would have to do it in Photoshop which would be a JPEG or PSD. If you want a clean edit with the floor and backdrop extended, vibrant colors and edited skin I can do that just let me know. Would you need a bright edit or dark edit? 

I don't edit in LR so my Raw file isn't going to be perfect. I have attached a JPEG of how I would do clean edit of the picture in PS. I understand that its not going to look exactly like the other photographers edit. But could you try with the JPEG image? I feel its a lot better than the RAW image I produce in LR. If not could you tell me how to turn the whites tan with the NIK program because I have tried and tried and can't figure it out. 

PS editjpg.jpg

Edited by newbornphotog

1 hour ago, newbornphotog said:

I don't edit in LR

I know you don't!  This is catastrophic, don't you understand??????  The whole purpose of shooting in raw is to harness the amazing power of the raw data.  You MUST do your comprehensive editing in a raw program BEFORE taking the photo to Photoshop.  You're KILLING the quality of your photos.

I wasn't asking for work flow advice :) but thanks for your opinion. I have mentored with two highly respected photographers in the industry and have been taught post processing by them. Clearly they haven't made it that far having serious problems.

May I recommend you adding to your guidelines of posting to have taken your RAW class prior to posting because obviously that's what you are trying to do is just sell your classes. This was a waste of my time. 

Once you do get your raw processing right, you'll find the NIK results are much more satisfactory.

By the way, make sure you mask the effect off the child's face.  If you look at the gallery of Santa photos, you'll see that the skin remains "normal", if you know what I mean.  It doesn't have the effect applied.

After experimenting with the Nik Collection that you recommended I finally created a preset of my own that I gave me the look I was hoping to achieve. Its not exactly like the images in the link but I like them a lot and am very happy with the results :) Now I am trying to figure out how to create a magical affect but I'm not having any luck. My attempts look extremely fake and tacky :( Can you show me how to create it. If you look on the first page of comments you will see where I tried to post links to specific images several times and it wasn't working. So I gave you the link to her Santa page where you were able to view the images. The images that has the magic that I'm trying to create is is the 6th image down in the middle. Here's the link again if you don't want to search back for it http://clarksvillesanta.daphnesportraitdesign.com/?load=html#!/page/275593/experience-santa- Its similar to the image of mine that I have attached.  Thanks

Santa.jpg

Santa.jpg

Edited by newbornphotog
posted the image twice on accident

I'm happy with the white balance on my end. Maybe once I have the "magic" in the picture I will feel different :) I was hoping to get to work with some different magic ideas if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. I have experimented with brushes and inner and outer glow but nothing looks good so far. 

In the link I posted above yesterday you will see in the 6th image down in the middle a picture where Santa has gold like pixie dust coming up out of his hand. That's meant to be "magic". Do you know how to create that affect in Photoshop?  I tried to post links to specific images in the past and you were unable to see them so this is the best way I can show you.