clippings

Eng

Yes, I shot in RAW.  It wasn't much clipping just a little on a bow on the hair.  It's not that important but I just want to know how to fix it in the future.  I tried to fix it by using the middle bar and it  helps.  So if I find clippings I would have to go through each layers?  

I'm on the waiting list for the raw class.  I open the raw file and it takes me to ACR but I don't make any changes in that because I don't really know how to use that so I open it in Photoshop and do all my editing in there.  

3 minutes ago, Eng said:

I'm on the waiting list for the raw class.  I open the raw file and it takes me to ACR but I don't make any changes in that because I don't really know how to use that so I open it in Photoshop and do all my editing in there.  

This is REALLY REALLY bad.

• Like 1

Skipping straight past the raw processing, of course!  You're doing SO much damage to your photos by ignoring that window.

Even though you haven't had any formal training with ACR, you're still a photographer, so the basic principles of Exposure and White Balance should be familiar enough to you, to have a play around, at least.

• Like 1

I've played around with it before but I don't know how to erase my mistakes.  Honestly I never thought it was all that important. ??.  But taking the layers class have changed my mind.  There are a lot to learn.

1 hour ago, Eng said:

I've played around with it before but I don't know how to erase my mistakes.

Simply hold down your Alt key and the "Cancel" button will turn into a "Reset" button, which you can click to undo your work.

Raw files are completely bulletproof.  You cannot do anything permanently bad to a raw file.

• Like 1

Ok I see a good amount of clippings on the subject's clothes.  I reduced highlights, shadows and white to get rid of the clippings but now the picture looks ugly.  Can I erase the areas I want back?

46 minutes ago, Eng said:

Ok I see a good amount of clippings on the subject's clothes.  I reduced highlights, shadows and white to get rid of the clippings but now the picture looks ugly.  Can I erase the areas I want back?

Of course not. :)  Raw is for *global* processing, to get your WB and exposure correct and give yourself the best possible foundation for the actual (selective) editing work in PS. 

The Raw class covers all this, and in conjunction with the Layers & Masks and the Levels classes, will teach you how to master this entire workflow. 

Just now, Eng said:

I can't upload the pic, it said I can only upload 19.53mb.

You can't upload raw files. :)  Open the file in PS, save as a JPG, resize for web, and then post it here.

1 minute ago, Eng said:

How long is the raw class?  

The Raw class is just like all of Damien's classes -- once you're in, you have access for 12 months to go through all the material.  It's the one class with a waitlist, though, so if that's what you were asking, I believe the current wait is around 2 months.  Sign up now and get your monitor calibration all squared away so you'll be ready to start the class when a spot opens up for you!

Thank you Damien for your help.  My pictures is looking lots better.  One last question...ok that's a lie :) If my picture looks good on ACR can I just take into PS?  Will that damage it.  I plan on doing some clean up and adding some actions.  Thanks