Hi 

im trying to remove under eye bags using the patch tool. Complete novice only done/doing the mask class. Problem is patch tools not working! 

I select the area and drag and nothing happens. No change. I'm using a Mac and cc. Working on a background copy layer. Patch tool is set to source. What have I missed?

thanks

jade

Your patch layer is completely covered over by the spot removal pixel layer above it. :)  Maybe go back over the slides in the Layers & Masks class about pixel layers?

And this might also help: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2015/07/order-of-layers-for-complex-pixel-edits.html

Also, do make sure to change these settings: http://www.damiensymonds.net/art_tscs000.html

• Like 1

Not exactly a rookie mistake -- do take a read of the "Order of layers" article I linked for you.  If you want to do multiple things to a single photo that will require pixel edits, you do need to do them in the right order and flatten/merge as you go -- but very very very carefully, of course, since flattening/merging is destructive!

• Like 1

I've read the article and going onto the second one for further reading but wondered Can I turn the non destructible layers off and then use the patch tool or do I have to delete and redo them? Will they affect the patch layer when turned on?

thanks

Do you mean adjustment layers?  Or pixel layers?  Pixel layers will block all pixels below them, which is why you have to flatten/merge as you go (so you aren't stacking pixel layers and covering the work you did on layers below).  Adjustment layers you can start adding to the stack where Damien indicated in his article, but as he said, it's generally better to do all your pixel edits first and then adjustment layers on top.

• Like 1