A question before signing on for the Sharpening Class

...at the risk of getting shat on from a great height I have a question about signing on for the Sharpening Class (I am currently in RAW and Levels Deluxe).

I have read that we need to allocate money for prints to get the most out of the class. But where I am at the moment is producing digital files for animal rescue groups on a voluntary basis. I would eventually like to be able to do prints for some of them, use some in pamphlets / promotional material etc. At the moment my sharpening is basically sharpening in RAW and then blindly sharpening using Unsharp Mask. Yes, I realise the error of my ways.

Would it be worthwhile signing on for the Sharpening Class now to learn the theory first and then do the test prints when I am ready (say in 6 months time?). Will the sharpening class help my digital files to look better or should I wait until I am committed to producing prints?

The class actually has nothing whatsoever to do with digital files. :D  It's the PRINT Sharpening Class.  If you want info on sharpening for web, Damien gives that away for free on his website.  Just do a search there for sharpening for web.

• Like 1

And the class will unfortunately not really be worth your while until you can afford the test prints.  The sharpening method for prints is based entirely around your personal sharpening preference, which is determined by an exercise of comparing various sharpening numbers on a set of test prints.  So whenever you're ready to learn how to sharpen for print, you'd need to save up to be able to afford the class as well as the test prints for the class to make sense and be worth your time.

• Like 1