ASUS ROG laptop?

Hi Brian, heading your way for advice on the advice of Damien.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've looked at your miminum requirements and tried to select options based on those. My goal--  recommended requirements for efficient/fast workflow, for the least $$$! I don't need/want fancy or extras.

Here are two ASUS ROG laptops I'm looking at. Any thoughts about these, or another that you'd recommend instead? 

Option 1: ASUS ROG STRIX GL703VD 17.3” Gaming Laptop$978

Option 2: ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GE-ES73 17.3” Gaming Laptop, $1,199.

The similarities:

i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 1 TB primary HD and 4GB graphics (I'm a bit confused about the graphics card requirement, but I believe these both meet your specs)

The differences: 

1. The cheaper one has a 1TB SSHD Hybrid Drive (8GB SSD Cache) whereas the other has 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB FireCuda Hybrid Drive. 

2.The cheaper one has Windows 10; the other has Chrome OS

3. The cheaper one an average rating of 3.5; the other 4.0 (though the reviews seem significantly more positive on the more expensive one. )

Question 2- a new monitor :)

I need the laptop for portability; however, I'll be editing in one location on a larger screen. Any thoughts about these two options?

Dell UltraSharp 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor - TD5f1 

versus

BenQ 27 inch 2K Photographer Monitor (SW2700PT)

Thanks a ton!

Christina

Brian,

I should have read the recent threads where you've covered a lot of this already.

You've answered the BenQ monitor question previously- thanks for that. I'll go with a Dell instead. How do you like the 27" Dell option I linked above?

For the laptop, I'm thinking it's between these two below. Any preference? They seem quite similar to me.

Dell 15.6" Inspiron 15 7000 Series Gaming Notebook

ASUS - ROG Strix Scar Edition 17.3" Laptop

Thanks,

Christina

I don't like the Dell Inspiron line. Either Desktops or Laptops. I'd go with the ASUS ROG laptop that you linked to.  I also usually recommend the Dell Displays, as they seem to be easy to calibrate. I also like the Matte Screen and it's an IPS display. So that Dell TD5f1 is the one I'd go with. BenQ monitors can be a bit of a PITA.

Thanks Brian.

One more Q:  between a laptop and a desktop PC-- these days, is one considered "better" than the other? Specific to using Adobe products I guess, and also connecting to a larger external display for editing. Am I sacrificing anything by choosing a laptop over a PC?

Edited by Christina Shires

A desktop computer will last longer. Most of today’s laptops that I see, only last 3-4 years for the $1000 ones, and your $500 (or less) Laptop will last 18-24 months. In addition, desktops aren’t as concerned about power and lasting a long time while powered on battery, so their components will run faster. 

Of course everyone wants that stupid portability and be able to edit photos while sitting next to the pool, in the kitchen or in the car on their way to vacation...hell, all in the same day! :)  In my humble opinion I like a desktop over a laptop for photo editing. I’ve only caved-in because I got tired of arguing. 

• Like 1

Ack. I was hoping you'd say laptops are just as good if not better. The reality is, I don't want a laptop. I'd much rather use a desktop- it's what I currently have. My issue is that my current sales process in my studio seems to necessitate a laptop over a desktop.

My situation:

-I edit in my office, above my retail/street level studio.
-Prior to a client ordering session, from my desktop upstairs, I edit and export to viewing software (Shootproof) and sometimes additionally Animoto for video slideshows.
-Then, I head downstairs to my studio where I have a laptop to meet my clients. I use the laptop, accessing Shootproof and Animoto via wifi and project for the ordering sessions.

This workflow has no end of shortcomings and duplicative work. The biggest issue is that I'm presenting from a machine from which I don't do actual work. If I need to adjust any photos, or pull up a photo that I didn't export to Shootproof, I have to run upstairs to my desktop, find it and export, upload to Shootproof and go downstairs to show the client (who I've now left alone for 10 minutes.)

Both my desktop and laptop are old/slow and have more than had their day but I'd really like to only replace one. Because I work on one floor and sell on another...seems my solutions are replacing both and continuing with my current clunky process, or buying a laptop and using it for both purposes.

Also, I only edit in one place. I literally wont edit anywhere else so a laptop doesn't benefit (or deter) me in this way.

Any insight? I'd love a solution where I'm buying a new desktop. 

Umm...yeah. Time for a new desktop. I can totally see where your are coming from. In reality, you need to replace both your desktop and laptop.

One of the biggest things that I see, is that you do not have a central place for all your files. You are uploading and bouncing back-and-forth, and I'm wondering how you keep everything straight. LOL! Man, talk about WORK. I almost want to recommend using something called a NAS, which stands for Networked Attached Storage; meaning it's kinda like a External HD that resides on your network and not attached to your computer. You would attach it to your Router or Ethernet Switch and both computers would access it via a network shared folder. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. In a nutshell, it's like having your own "Private Cloud."

Now comes the answer for the "What do I buy?!?!?? question.

Since you are showing images to clients to your "Sales Session," (I know it's called In-Person Sales these days, but back in the day...it was just know as "Sales," but I'm digressing and showing my age. ?) I think you will be better off getting a better laptop at this point. Time is money, and if you can sell more product due to a better screen then you can re-coupe your losses with buying the laptop first, and then tackle the replacement of the main editing machine. Of course, you may not have a large budget, and in that case I still would purchase a laptop but also purchase a 24" - 27" screen that is calibrated and stays in one place for your clients to view their images.

When it comes to a laptop, I prefer Intel Chips. I realize that AMD is usually cheaper, but when it comes to laptops, I prefer Intel. Second, you have integrated video on your desktop computer, the dead give-away is "7.19 usable." A part of the RAM is being reserved for the video card. You do not want that in either your future desktop or laptop computer.  I'm also pretty sure that your laptop screen is not IPS based, and that is making your photos that you show your clients NOT look their very best. Hopefully your prints match to one of your computers, but since your clients are looking at that laptop, that screen NEEDS to match your prints or is pretty damn close. 

Now for the dose of reality...your requirements are not of a $500 or less laptop. A budget of $1000 - $1500 is more likely. So before I start linking stuff, WHAT is your budget?