prep questions for new iMac purchase

Lili

Hi Brian,

I've just purchased a new iMac.  27", 32 GB, 1TB SSD.....

I currently have an older MacBook Pro and am wondering the best way to prep for the arrival of my new computer!  

Should I transfer EVERYTHING from my current MacBook or "start fresh"? And what's the best way to transfer, if yes?  I have many actions saved in PS and am not sure what the best way to move them over to the new computer is, but I love the idea of starting with a semi-clean slate....? I just don't want to miss something important....?  I know there's at least one plug in PS I have that I don't know where the original file is.... 

and

Should I risk the new Photoshop update on the new computer or just use the older version transferred from my other computer until all the glitches are worked out?

I really not super tech savvy but can usually figure it out - and think I get a half hour of help from the Mac people when my computer arrives so would like to be ready with a plan! Advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Liana

Unless you restore from a Time Machine Backup, which copies over all the crap from your old MBP, you are installing a fresh & current version of PS CC, complete with bugs. That said, I don't think it's going to be a major issue for you because it's a brand new Mac. There isn't previous versions to deal with, plugin transfers that could affect things, and other general crap, etc. The majority of the problems that I see when people complain, is from people that don't do normal maintenance on their computers. They have crap all over the place, their Mac Desktop is filled with hundreds...if not thousands, of images and files (which is a bad thing to do) and have only 4GB or 8GB of RAM with a filled HD. Then they update and it blows up in their faces. It's like complaining that your engine died because you didn't do an oil-change in 100,000+ miles. "But I don't know anything about cars..." translates to "I'm not tech savvy..." or "I don't know anything about computers..." No excuses. Learn. Educate yourself. I see it all the time; people will spend HOURS and HOURS, if not months chasing the "Perfect Skin-tone" or how this certain Photographer achieves this look but won't take a Saturday Afternoon to learn how to properly maintain/use their computer.  ;)

I recently purchased a 27" iMac earlier this year, and for the most part, I only transferred the things I actually needed. Clean slates are a good thing, and if your old MBP is still working, makes this "clean slate" method easier. I have an external HD that all my images are stored on, so that left things like browsing favorites and logins/passwords, PS Actions & Brushes, my iTunes library and documents to transfer over.  As far as the plug-ins, like Portraiture and the like, I downloaded fresh copies due to having a newer version of PS and a new Mac OS. I was not going to bother with installing old versions of anything. I recommend you do the same, newest versions of browsers and other programs. I also purchased CleanMyMac X from MacPaw.com and even installed MS Office 365. This way I would have the 2019 versions when available.

Since you claim that you aren't tech savvy, I'd say the easiest way to transfer things is via a USB ThumbDrive, like a 32GB version or an External HD. There is a way to network your two Macs together and to create shared folders and such, which allows you to copy things directly but I don't give away that knowledge/methods for free.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate all this information!  Just got it today so will take me awhile to figure out.  If I can't figure out how to selectively transfer, do you have tutorials available for purchase?  I'm hoping I can do it at least with the help of apple care, but if I'm stuck, how do you provide more info?  

Thanks!

Liana