I seem to have no control at all over my clone stamp tool, it seems to have a mind of its own all the time. It makes me wonder if there is some "normal" standard setting that i am missing?

Take the below screen shot as an example (photo taken from my phone since when i tried to take screenshot the clone sample area would not show) . I am trying to clone out the hard shadows of the blanket by replacing the dark blanket areas with nice white areas, but when i select "Alt" and click, it is not sampling the nice white area i clicked on but an area from another picture that i have open?? (i had not even been cloning on that picture today and was working on other photos, but not using clone stamp). Why is this happening? What am i doing wrong?

13244881_10153792051146748_8001751622136212465_n.jpg

Here you go, but it wont show the weird face that was selected as the sample area as once i go to take a screen shot the sample area preview disappears, hence why i too the picture with my phone above!

Screenshot.jpg

Yes i am pressing Alt and then clicking on the area i wish to sample

I have a PC laptop running Windows 10 and Photoshop CC. It is over 2 years old, and has 4GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 180GB free out of 453GB. The last time I shut down was last night. I have never run a cleanup program.

4GB of RAM is only half of the recommended for running PS, so that may be part of your problem.  (You're also getting close to less than 1/3rd free hard drive space, so be sure to keep an eye on that!)

What happens if you close all other images and just work on one at a time?  You may need to do that as a general practice, given your low RAM.

And also, of course, try rebooting your computer. :)

ok, so still having major issues with using the clone stamp tool..... i have restarted computer and only working on one image, but i am unable to a) select any sample area or b) copy any sample area to new area

For e.g., in the below pic, i am trying to clone the white blanket into the shadow area under baby's head but nothing is happening. is the tool set up correctly?? (should the foreground colour be white or black or does that even matter?). When i press Alt and click to select sample area, do i press the Alt key on the left or spacebar on the keyboard or on the right (or again, does that even matter?) 

When it says select sample by pressing Alt - click, what does the - refer to?

Also, when moving cloned area to new area, you just click and move the curser over the new area to be cloned right??

Below is screenshot of my setting...

clone tool help.jpg

Ahhhh ok.... so where should i do it? so i should create a new background copy above the "reduce eye bags" pixal layer and clone on that?

its still not working... i created a new pixel layer above all the other pixel layers, but when i select an area of clean white blanket, it seems to clone with a dirty grey colour, not white blanket colout. See below screenshot (taken with my phone)

You can see the small white circle is my sampled area, and the light grey around it is the result of cloning this "white" sample area....

13315393_10153802723626748_4619627092117981055_n.jpg

Edited by lsin

You also have your clone tool set to sample all layers, and who knows what all going on in that actions group of layers and whatever other stack of layers you've got stretching out above that  

Cloning work is pixel layer work.  You've apparently also done pixel later work to fix the eyes, and again, who knows what all in that layers group and other layers not shown here (but your layers palette scrollbar is tiny so you must have tons up there...).

If you want to clone properly, and if you also *need* to do other pixel layer work (if you can't tell, I'm giving a serious side-eye to your layers!), do it this way: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2015/07/order-of-layers-for-complex-pixel-edits.html