Black Friday deals laptop

I've been reading the posts re: specs for laptop & desktop recommendations.  I came across this particular message and it has me second guessing what I've been considering.  

I'm still using CS6. Can I step down a notch or two on the XPS series if I'm not using CC? I was looking at this...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/black-friday-deals/new-xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop/xnber5cr649ps

But I would love to save a little if I can.

(Wavering between the laptop and desktop... current desktop is almost 10 years old, need to upgrade so I can get going on Damien's classes without using a dinosaur) 

Remember, laptops you get 4 or so years out of. Even the insanely Apple MacBook Pros.  If you spend a “little extra,” you do usually get what you pay for. 

A $500 laptop lasts about 12-18 months. $700-$1000, About two years. $1000-$1500, About three or so years. Maybe even more. Anything above $1500 is 3-5 years as well, you just either have more performance or gadgets on those models. 

Personally, I feel the $1000-$1500 range (non-black Friday prices) is the sweet spot. They do NOT make laptops like they used to 10 years ago. It’s cheap plastic, eco-friendly (non-lead solder, which is good for the environment, bad for electronics) and come out with new models every 4-6 weeks. That’s why it’s so hard for me to recommend ___________ when it comes to a laptop. When I do, a month goes by and it’s no longer available. Laptops, like Smartphones are designed to fail and be replaced often. Desktop computers still have the best chances of lasting long-term. When I recommend something, I have at least a 5-7 year timeframe in mind, leaning towards the 7 year mark. 

Iif you are going to use this laptop for photo editing, the #1 thing you need to pay attention to is what type of display panel is being used. If it’s a low-quality display, that doesn’t render colors & contrast consistently (and correctly) across the screen, I don’t care how fancy the CPU is, how much RAM is in it or how big the HD is...it’s the wrong laptop for you to purchase. Period. 

CS6 doesn’t require much and any laptop from $500 on up will be able to run it fine. It’s the display you need to be chasing...you want a IPS-based display and NOT a TN (Twisted Neumatic). IPS Display panels are tough to find. Even more-so today. 

OMG!  Thud!  (Brian gets up off the floor...)

I just took a look at that laptop’s specs. THANK YOU! 

That is the first laptop I’ve seen in MONTHS that ticks all of my “boxes.” 

BUY IT!!! 

This is one of those times that the “pain of purchase” will be non-existent a few years from now. Don’t cheap out. 

The other thing is Windows Laptops are taking a cue from Apple and are becoming more "sealed units" these days, so upgrading after the fact is usually difficult. Without seeing this particular laptop in my hands, I can't make a true assessment, just a generalization. Having 32GB RAM, a 1TB m.2 SSD HD, dedicated Video RAM and a IPS screen means you won't have to touch this laptop upgrade-wise, if at all, over the course of its life.

I am about to link to this laptop to answer the "What laptop should I buy for Photo-Editing" FAQ. I want you to buy it before it goes out of stock, since I consider you having "Dibs." :D I will stay quite until tomorrow, Sunday Nov. 24th. You have no idea on how excited I am about this configuration. Non-Glossy IPS screens in laptops are extremely RARE these days.

Oh man, here I've been focusing on the RAM, & HD specs and didn't notice screen type.  Doh! Yes,  photo editing will happen,  screen matters.  So, thank you for that! 

But, now I'm doubting a laptop all together.  I know desktop is preferred, due to inconsistent lighting when editing on laptop, but I was looking at convenience of editing on the go.  Only 3-5 years though?  Ugh. To click "buy" or not? More thinking today... 

Thank you for your wealth of knowledge! I'm glad I started a new thread,  even with the others that are out there.  

• Like 1

Partly is the planned obsolescence with the laptop, the other is you’d be surprised on how batteries aren’t removable anymore. Sealed units are all the rage, but I think this model you can buy a battery and replace it. 

Speaking of batteries, it’s not a bad idea to get a Dell OEM battery, the sooner the better. I’ve never had a after-market battery work in a laptop at all my years doing this. Even if you don’t use it right away. 

Trying to find an extra / spare OEM battery 3 years from now will be impossible. I've gone through this multiple times with my customers. Hell, even after 6 months trying to find an extra OEM battery will be near-impossible. It is totally worth the upgrade. Like I said, even if you just put the battery away for a few years and use it when the initial one wears out, will be well worth the cost. In fact, the pain of buying an extra will be rewarded when all you have to do is pop the spare one in, around 3 years. It will be like having a new laptop all over again.

Hmm. I was going on the Dell Suggested Up-Sell items. Remember how I said Sealed units are all the rage? Guess what, Dell XPS Laptops don’t have swappable / user replaceable batteries. It’s just the sign of the times. Laptops lasting 8-10 years are a thing of the past. The manufacturers want you back in the market, sooner than later.  

Brian, OK, not sure if this is going to be a dumb question...

Got my new laptop, got my calibrator...but can't get CS6 onto my laptop.  It was a digital download from Amazon and the download is no longer available. I have my serial number, but can't seem to find a place to download the software. I have had my old computer for 10 years (CS6 for 7 years), so its been awhile since I've needed to do any downloading. 

My (could be dumb) question... is there a way to get it off of my old computer and onto this one?  Since it was a download, do I have the install software that I would need on that computer So I could just save that on an external and transfer it over? I tried doing a search in my files, but if I'm being honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

I really really didn't want to have to upgrade to CC and pay a subscription. I'm used to my CS6 and I do not like change! HELP! Please tell me it is possible?

You would need to find the download file (setup.exe) that’s located on your old computer hopefully somewhere. You can’t just copy a program’s folder from one computer to another. It doesn’t work that way. It might be in some sort of downloads folder.

Adobe has really abandoned CS6. If you do find the CS6 installer files, just put them on a EHD or Thumbdrive and copy them over.

The other two options is to contact Adobe and see if they will let you download CS6, but I’m confident they will fight you tooth-and-nail and do a hard sell for PS CC. 

The other method is to download CS6 illegally via the Torrents. Though you do have a legitimate serial number, so this puts it into a gray area. No, I’m not going to tell you how to do it this way. :) I stopped being a Software Pirate long ago and so much has changed. 

You aren’t the first person to go through this. You have a “Amazon Copy” of Adobe Photoshop, not a full-fledged Version. After so many years, software gets abandoned / orphaned and Amazon will not guarantee digital downloads after a certain amount of time. 

The problem is, Adobe WILL NOT BUDGE. Since you are more than likely be forced to upgrade, do not get snookered into getting the $19.99 a month plan. Just get the PS CC $9.99 plan

Now for the good news, you get PS, Bridge and LR for that cost. Believe it or not, you are actually going to pay LESS for PS CC than if you out-right bought it. 

Let me explain...pretend it’s 20 years ago and you wanted to buy Photoshop, it would have retailed for $749. Maybe $699. I can’t remember, it’s been awhile. Anyway, if you figured the cost of the upgrade for your particular version, every two years at $299. So let’s say that is a 4 year time-span or 48 months. $699+$299=$998 and we haven’t even added sales tax. So let’s keep it simple and say it’s $1000 / 48 months. 

That’s $20.83 per month over four years. You are spending half that amount per month for the same thing AND you get Lightroom thrown in for free.

The problem is, people generally didn’t upgrade when they were “supposed” to. (Every 2-3 years.) Combine that with Photoshop being the #1 most pirated software in the world, doesn’t  make a good case for Adobe continuing the “owned” software model. That’s why they switched; losing millions per day in Pirated Software Torrent Downloads, and people keeping their copies of PS forever...Adobe can’t sustain that long term. 

The good news is, it’s affordable and costs you half of what it used to. The bad news is, you don’t own it and can’t keep your version forever. Unfortunately in your case, Amazon didn’t allow this either. :/ 

Yup, got all of that and it makes sense.  I just wanted to keep my trusty CS6. 

My other worry is that I didn't go with the 32gb, 1tb laptop because I wasn't going to run CC on it.  Do you think I'll be ok if all I'm using is PS (no lightroom, no other programs)?? Hope I didn't screw up that part...