Hard drive, D drive and all things inbetween

Good Evening Brian 

Damien has sent me in this direction to get some advice regarding my current laptop problem -  I have a PC laptop running Windows 10 and Photoshop 21.1.1 which is under 6 months old, however it only has  8 GB of RAM and its hard drive has 42.4 GB or 105GB. I do have an D drive which has 1.02TB of 1.81TB free.  Essentially everything comes to a grinding holt if I have too many applications open, and Photoshop stops allll the time saying the scratch drive is full. Damien mentioned something about moving Photoshop and other things over to the D drive?  My photoshop is the cloud subscription if that makes a difference. 

Thank you :) :) 

• Thanks 2

On 3/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, LCC said:

8 GB of RAM and its hard drive has 42.4 GB or 105GB.

Yeesh!!

Yeah, that's a problem. Even if we moved everything over to  your D Drive, PS would still complain and you really wouldn't get much of a performance boost, since more than likely you'll be working off a USB port of some kind. Hopefully a 3.0 or 3.1 Port. I'm thinking you have a 128GB SSD Drive in your laptop and by today's standards, you want 16GB of RAM at a minimum and a much larger HD. So yeah...right now your laptop is way under-powered for PS CC 21.1.1. Even if we had a 256GB HD to work with, we could make things work...but not with a 128GB Drive. That laptop is only meant for general computing, not Photoshop.

Let's start with the Make/Model and let's see if we can get it upgraded. In reality, we want a 1TB SSD HD and as much RAM as your laptop can handle. Hopefully that's at least 16GB. If it isn't able to be upgraded, unfortunately, you are in the market for a new computer.