New Desktop question

REP

Which one were you looking at? The link only takes me to the main page, not the specifics of the configuration. Honestly, prices are insanely high right now and you are looking to spend around $2000+ for a "Computer for Editing Photos."

Here is what I came up with:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.58.04 AM.png

You really need to click customize and make sure you choose everything. For example, unless you pay an extra $90, you will be automatically signed up for a MONTHLY CHARGE OF $9.99 FOR "WARRANTY" AND "PHONE TECH SUPPORT."

Here is what I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.03.10 PM.png

Now if you don't want to pay extra, you will need to select "Basic Support" which seems to be just Hardware and not any phone support.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.04.42 PM.png

This is unacceptable. I'm really re-thinking my recommendation for the Dell XPS line. :(

I was able to configure a "Cheaper" option, here is the configuration:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.10.34 PM.png

Here is the Link to the XPS 8940 that I configured above.

• CPU: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700 processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.8GHz)
  • Video: AMD Radeon RX 5700 8GB GDDR6
  • Blu-Ray Drive: Tray-load Blu-Ray Drive (Reads and Writes to BD/DVD/CD) (This is required for some reason.)
  • Power Supply / Chassis: 500W Night Sky Bezel Chassis including optical drive (500W P/S is required by the beefier Video Card.)
  • RAM: 32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz (Since we are spending this much money, might as well spend another $150 and be done with it.)
  • Hard Drive: 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (This by far is the biggest "Gotcha" with computers today. Spend the $$ and get a 1TB Main Drive.)
  • Wireless: Dell Wireless Card W1810/QCA9377 (1x1 AC,BT 4.1) (Honestly, nothing beats a hardwired Ethernet Connection, but here is a basic Wi-Fi option.)
  • Warranty: 1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis (Seems to be Hardware Only. If you want more phone support, you'll spend an extra $90 at the very least.)
  • Everything else is at the default configuration. I hate McAffee and Norton Antivirus. Those two are worthless pieces of crap these days and it would be the 1st thing I would remove. There is a software package that will remove all of the bits and pieces of McAfee AntiVirus, and I would highly recommend it. It's called the McAfee Removal Tool. Then I would purchase Webroot. Get the $59.99 Option. Yes, the more expensive plan is $51.99 right now and there are minor differences, which you probably won't take advantage of. The big one being come next year, when you have to renew (Antivirus Software is subscription-based now) it will be $79.99 instead of $59.99.

Now I'm sure you are a bit shocked on the price. The "Cheaper" Option with my Hardware requirements is close to $1800. Remember how I stated that prices are at a all-time-high due to COVID and the import Tariffs from China? This is what happens. A year ago, this configuration would be around $1200-ish. Now it's $600 more. Honestly, this is the worst time to be in the market for a new computer. :(

Hello Brian,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes everything is too pricey. I’ve always liked dell but I would consider another brand. I believe you are right it might be best to wait until the pricing comes back to normal. I was figuring on a laptop at first then decided that a desktop would be best. I had a dell laptop that I was using with a separate monitor for editing but it’s too old and needs replaced (still running windows 7.) If you can suggest another brand I would consider it but think your right this may not be the time to purchase a computer.