Black and white has hints of color in shadows

Some of my black and whites are showing colors in the darker shadows when I upload them online and view them on my Mac and cell phone. I don't know if it's an issue with my editing (it doesn't appear in photoshop) or if it's the way I'm saving them. The image I'm attaching, I see color on his forehead, cheek and back rolls when uploaded to facebook. Would love a little help if it's something that everyone can see as well. Thank you!

IMG_8736bw.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.05.19 PM.png

Edited by Gina Gentile

Is it a true black and white?  Open it in PS, have your Info panel open, and run your cursor around the image (especially in the spots where you're seeing color tints elsewhere) -- are the R, G, and B values equal to each other everywhere you check?

Just now, Samantha LaRue said:

How are you converting them to black and white? And how are you saving them for Facebook? (pixel dimensions, quality level, and file type)

I'm converting them to black and white using gradient maps and some level/curves adjustments. Then I add in a hue colorized adjustment so it's a warmer black and white. Is that why? Saving them to facebook using a Paint The Moon Facebook action. 

2 minutes ago, Samantha LaRue said:

Wow, so we have a lot of options there. First, lets save for Facebook without the PTM action and then post the image to Facebook and see if the problem persists.

Ugh, I think I found the issue! I'm stupid lol. I scrolled through my adjustments and had the saturation bumped up for some weird reason making that colorize adjustment way more saturated then I wanted. SO MUCH BETTER! 

Just now, Christina Keddie said:

It's still troubling to me that you couldn't see it in PS but could on FB.  That sounds like a color space problem or a saving problem of some sort.  Can you absolutely confirm that this file has been saved with sRGB embedded?

100% a sRBG file

10 minutes ago, Gina Gentile said:

Ugh, I think I found the issue! I'm stupid lol. I scrolled through my adjustments and had the saturation bumped up for some weird reason making that colorize adjustment way more saturated then I wanted. SO MUCH BETTER! 

So everything is working good now?

If you're 100% sure sRGB was embedded in these exact files (your doc profile indicator is on and shows sRGB for these exact files), and you're still seeing a color differential between PS and FB, make sure you have your web browser set correctly: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2012/01/web-browsers-and-facebook.html

• Like 1