Laptop advice

Hi Brian.

Could you look at this and tell me if it's a good laptop to run photoshop on?

I have a 12 year old Asus gaming laptop and it's time to buy something new. 

Thank you!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-18-240hz-gaming-laptop-qhd-intel-14th-gen-core-i9-with-32gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-2tb-ssd-eclipse-gray/6570224.p?skuId=6570224

• Like 1

Yes. The only thing that concerns me is the fancy rainbow-colored LED Lighting along the bottom/edges. While it's fancy and cool effect for Gamers, since you are likely editing photos, the color casts caused by them would be a nightmare. I would make sure you can turn that feature completely off before editing or calibrating anything. Other than that, this laptop checks all of my boxes.

Thanks, Brian. You have a good eye, I didn't even notice that. I will see if I can find out if that can be shut off. 

I'm not opposed to a desk top or a different laptop. I just picked this brand and laptop since it's what I've had before. I'm open to suggestions. Picking a new computer has been difficult for me. I appreciate your help!

Asus ROG Laptops are fine. I've also recommend Lenovo Laptops, such as this model. The only laptops that I actively avoid are HP laptops. While they used to be great, about 20 years ago, the current models just suck.

Chances are, the answer will be yes or at the very least…a definite maybe. I’d budget for one, just in case. Also, make sure you have physical prints to judge your screen by. 

Why? 

Because that Calibrator has been discontinued and it’s possible the Calibration Software isn’t compatible with Windows 11. You can try installing it and see how it works. If it does, great. If not you are buying a new calibration tool. I did find this:

Xrite - Windows 11 Support

Try to find the Calibration Software name in your list. For the best results, make sure you download the latest version of the Drivers/Calibration Software and give it a go. We can always undo things if the Calibration goes sideways.