Can no longer save any PS file to my EHD

sew2019

Since I purchased a new EHD a couple months ago, I have been struggling with the WD My Passport EHD I purchased.  This hard drive asks me to constantly authenticate it and enter my password.  I have done so much research to figure out how to rectify this, and have followed the instructions to set the drive for myself and everyone to be able to read & write.  Now I am having trouble saving any file from PS.  When I edit a file in PS CC and then select Save or Save As..., it makes it to about 98% complete, and then I get this error message - "Could not save as "-DSC0817.psd" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary address permissions, or another program is using the file.  Use the "Get Info" command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file.  If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder."

I have gone to "Get Info", followed multiple tutorials for fixing this, but nothing is working.  The only way I can save a file that I have edited in PS is to save it to my desktop and then drag it into the folder I want on the EHD.  But when I've done this, Bridge won't let me give the photo a star rating which I want to be able to use as I sort and select photos, not to mention it's any annoying extra step.  Have you seen this before?  I feel like I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out, and I don't know what to try next.  I would so appreciate any help or assistance!

I'd get another EHD, copy over any existing files on the EHD that is giving you trouble, then blow away the partition on the EHD that's giving you problems.

After that is accomplished, I would repartition and reformat the EHD. Then move your files back. 

I can assist you if needed and it would be a great help if you let me know what version of the MacOS that you have. 

I am away for the weekend but will start working on this when I get back. I have to admit that you lost me after the instructions for getting another ehd & copying the files onto it. As soon as I get this done, I'll check back in again. Thanks!

• Like 1

Get the new external first, it doesn't matter if it's "Mac Formatted" or not. It can be a "Windows" drive. It doesn't matter and you should save about $30. We can set this new drive up as a Mac Drive. 

How large is that WD Passport Drive?