New Computer

Can you please tell me exactly what to buy? From beginning to end? I am exhausted trying to decide between so many different options. My laptop that I have been using since before I began photography has crashed, and I need a new computer ASAP. In a way, I am glad because I have been wanting to upgrade to a new desktop anyways. Your mother post regarding PCs was very helpful, but the provided links have since changed and only confuse me more. I just want to get back to editing... I am planning to get a credit card from one store that I can purchase everything from. Maybe Best Buy? Can you please just pick your favorites and tell me exactly what to get? This is probably too much to ask..... I will pay you...... Seriously. Please help me.  All of this technology talk has given me a migraine. I am so desperate. Thank you for your time regardless.

I have a talent for spending other people's money. I will answer this either tonight when I get home or over the weekend.

What kind of realistic budget do you have in mind? 

Omg. My hero! Thank you so much!!! Honestly, none. LOL I am going to have to do a credit card. But I figure, now that I HAVE to do it, I should go ahead and get some decent stuff, not the cheapest like I normally would. I have been using PS Elements, but I am planning on getting CC on the new computer (not sure if that matters or not). With that being said, I don't want to go crazy! But I don't want something that will just "get the job done" either... Does that make any sense? lol

Either way, thank you so much for helping me! 

Edited by Gabby

Hi Brian, are you still there? I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you! Are you still willing to help me with my computer gear? Thanks again!

I'm really not digging Best Buy's selection. ¬¬

I found a PC that caught my eye. Why? Because it has Windows 7 installed. So ignore the reviews with people boo-hooing that it didn't come with Win 10 pre-installed. Having Windows 7 Pro edition is a good thing! What happened is that Dell sold you a license for Windows 10, but installed a previous verison of the OS. I do this ALL THE TIME when it comes to my servers that I build for clients. The reason is sometimes the customer's software may not be compatible with a version of the OS. So the older version is installed, is completely legit, and when it comes time to install the newer OS, you can get it free.

I'd get this computer:

Dell XPS 8900

...and this monitor:

Dell U2713HM

That combo is a good starting point. $1969.98. Plus Tax.

I'm not impressed with the other models. In either the "Performance Desktops" or "Gaming Desktops." It's a bit of a "Yawn" for me. You do not want a "All-in-One" Windows computer and you wanted to stick with a Windows system, so a 27" iMac is out of the equation. That Dell combo is what I would personally purchase. In fact, I bought a lower-end computer for my GF for this past Christmas.

Awesome! But the Mac is def not out of the question! I want to get the best of what I can afford! Do you have more recommendations for Mac?! I will take whatever you can give me! Thank you again so much!

So will I not need to purchase extra memory or hard drives or anything extra? I know absolutely nothing. I have been editing on a non caliberberated laptop for years! ? 

Well, that unit does come with 16GB and a 2TB HD, which is fine to start with. You could upgrade it to 32GB of RAM down the road if you needed to. It also has a 4GB Dedicated Video Card. So yes, you could get some years out of it before doing any sorts of upgrades. Plus at that price-point, you could also afford to purchase a Spyder5 Pro Calibrator from Best Buy.

As for a iMac, you are looking at the 27" models ONLY!! The 21.5" iMacs can't be upgraded easily after purchase and are really under-powered. In my humble opinion, the current 21.5" iMacs are a complete waste of money. If you did get a iMac, this is the one to get at Best Buy. That one you would have to upgrade right away, since it only comes with 8GB or RAM. I would purchase a 16GB RAM Kit from Crucial to take it from 8GB to 24GB. Those kits are around $100 the last time I checked. Then you still have to purchase a calibrator. Basically, you are spending around $2800 - $3000 for a iMac equivalent setup.

You're amazing! I'm so sorry.... I totally forgot to mention that I got a loan instead of Best Buy credit card. Does that change your opinion at all? So I can purchase from where ever you recommend! 

Oh! And what about something to prevent viruses? I've read that was an issue with choosing Windows instead of iMac? Is that right?

In all honesty, that Dell at Best Buy is a pretty decent deal. Spec-wise you wouldn't have to upgrade anything right away.

As far as viruses, they are sooo 1990's. B| People don't get viruses anymore, the term "Virus" is like saying, "...I got stung by a Bee." Hmm...did the person get truly stung by a Bee or was it a Wasp? 

Nowadays, people get Malware, Trojans, Keyloggers, Ransomeware and other nasty things, not true Viruses.

To get the best protection, you need the paid versions of software. I like the paid version of Malwarebytes that does real-time monitoring. I also like the paid version of AVG. I've also heard of good things about Kaspersky and it really plays well with Windows 10. Keep in mind, this is just a layer of protection, no software is fool-proof, but it's better than having nothing.

OK, I have decided to get the iMac... can you tell me if this looks good to you? Do you think I need the i7? Its $250 more.. I want this computer to last me as long as possible!

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB

3TB Fusion Drive

AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory

Magic Mouse 2

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User’s Guide

Accessory Kit

(copied and pasted from the Apple website)

• Like 1