New Computer Time

Hi Brian!  I posted on the old FB page first so I am reposting here.   I just read thru the posts on this page and answered some of my questions.  The Dell XPS 8700 was replaced by the 8900.  Do you still recommend getting Windows 7 over 10?   I HATE Windows 10 right now.   My computer was doing just fine until it automatically downloaded and now I get blue screens daily and my driver stops working(but says it recovers).  Screen recommendations still U2412M?  Or has that been replaced by a newer model? 

• Like 1

I am playing with customizing the 8900.  If I am using the computer 99% of the time for editing is the i5 still sufficient? Or is it better to go ahead and get the i7?

If you edit video or play video games, get the i7. If all you plan on doing is using Photoshop and the like, the i5 is fine. The reason is, the software package has to be programmed to take advantage of the i7's features that make it faster. Photoshop doesn't. There is only about a 5% - 10% boost with going with a i7 over a i5 when it comes to PS. 

Windows 10 is fine for computers that come with it. It gets messy when you upgrade. If you can get Win 7 Pro 64-bit, go for it. If you get Win 10, it's fine for the most part. Windows 7 will be taken behind the barn and shot dead around 2020. Meaning all support and patches will stop. Just like Win XP. That's about 3.5 years away. So Win 10 looks to be the best option going forward. 

But I get what you mean. ;) 

i would get extra RAM from Crucial.com and bump it up to 32GB before I'd spend the money on the i7 option. But that's your call. 

The 2412m has been discontinued, but is still available. It's a good monitor. B&H has it for $240. 

You want to use the DVI cable that comes with the monitor. 

I always said when I finally broke down to get a new computer I was buying whatever that guy from "Ask Brian" told me to.    I am getting it all ordered this weekend.  And the extra RAM from crucial.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Consider this a virtual hug. 

• Like 4