New PC laptop spec requirements

I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop (I have a new IPS monitor to connect to it). I am so computer illiterate when it comes to the specs. Can you please make it simple for me; min RAM, is there a particular graphics card, i don't know what else lol. Or are there any laptops you can suggest? I see there are recommended monitors in the what to buy section but nothing for the computer itself. Thanks in advance!

This is what I have currently

-17.3" HD 1600 x 900 pixel resolution display
-750GB HDD
-8GB DDR3 Memory (ram) @ 1333mhz
-AMD A-Series quad-core processor A8-3500M (1.50 GHz with Turbo CORE Technology up to 2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, DDR3 1333 MHz, 35 W)
-AMD intergated HD 6620G GPU
-AMD Radeon HD 6740G2 1GB VRAM

A friend of mine (non-photographer) just got a ASUS ROG Laptop. It is a SWEET LAPTOP with a GORGEOUS DISPLAY. I think Damien has one himself. If I were to buy a laptop, that'd be the one I'd get.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Christina Keddie said:

Have you scrolled through this subforum?  I know there have been at least a few threads where Brian has just said "here, buy this laptop." :)

I took a quick scroll through but nothing caught my eye. I found an old post on the fb group with links. I think the first one Brian suggested is one of them. I'll take a better look in this forum and check out the ones Brian suggested. 

9 minutes ago, Brian said:

Thank you! Although I'm in Canada and may have just gotten sticker shock. A desktop isn't looking so bad even though I have no room ?.

I still do not recommend using a laptop for photo-editing. Because that laptop and it's high price-tag will be "Too Slow" in about 2-3 years. There are two major components, a IPS based screen, and enough horsepower to run Photoshop and store photos and a dedicated video card with its own video memory. Just like a desktop. Since it's portable, the price is higher. You are paying for convenience. You could get a decent desktop for 1/3 of the price.

A low-end gaming laptop. 

Just like a desktop. 

I5 or i7 CPU

8GB RAM at a Minimum 16 GB Preferred. 

A 1TB HD

This is the kicker: A separate and dedicated video card with its own memory. Adobe's products are using the Graphics Processor for a performance boost. So integrated video is not what you want these days. 

Most of these type of laptops are around the $1200 mark, give or take. 

Oops sorry I meant what would you suggest if I went with a desktop. I see a lot of suggestions for the dell 8900, unfortunately the store I'd like to buy from doesn't carry it. I can go to the big box store if need be, just prefer the littler guy. 

Edited by Anne Adlington

Read the above comment. :) 

I don't type this stuff out for my health. Or look at the specs for the Dell XPS 8900 and find something similar. 

Bottom Line: You are looking for a low-end gaming machine. Whether it's a Desktop or Laptop. 

If you are going for more hardcore things like video games and such, or editing video, then I would add more stuff to look for on the list. Since it's just photos, the basic 4 points I usually refer to will be sufficient. 

• Like 1

Seems OK. Nothing earth-shattering, but no major red-flags either.  Man, everything in Canada is expensive! That system would go for less down here.

The only thing I personally do not like is the 240GB SSD C: Drive. It's too small. Of course there is a 1TB drive, but all to often people will click, "Next-next,next...OK, next-next next. Finish" when it comes to installing software or saving their files. You need to be ANAL on what gets put on a 240GB SSD Drive. It's really only meant for Windows, no programs. So if you do get this computer, be sure to do a CUSTOM install and make sure things get put on the 1TB HD.

In fact, I'd rather see a 4TB 7200RPM Sata HD instead of a small SSD Drive. Sure the SSD is faster, but if it's full...it won't do you a damn bit of good. So maybe they can find you a Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive and install it in place of the two HDs on the spec-sheet.

I had no idea the ssd was my c: drive lol. They figured I could run photoshop on the ssd but save everything to the HD. There was an i7 next to this one and I knew I should've taken a pic of the specs for comparison. It was about $400 more but it didn't have the 1TB HD (and that's about all I know ?) I will see what they can do tomorrow. Thanks for all your wisdom!

Right. Tech Savvy people will think to put Windows and Programs on the SSD Drive, and files on the 1TB. 

The problem is, most of us suffer from the habit on saving everything to the C Drive, and guess what? After format...you don't have 240GB, you have around 223GB. 

That's before Windows is installed, then all the updates. Then PS is installed. Then it updates. So after things are installed, you have about 140GB to play with. Maybe 150. Now you have things like the PS scratch disk to deal with, which will start complaining that it needs more space, especially if you start dumping sessions to it, forgetting all about the 1TB drive. Most people are creatures of habit. So I don't like any C Drive to be lower than 500GB. 

This just doesn't apply to the home user. I have customers who have Servers that were sold with 136GB HDs. It was just supposed to be the OS, and backup software. Guess how many service calls I get for "Full Drives" now? A lot more than I'd like. 

You see, you don't want to fill a HD to more than 75-80% of capacity. Things start to slow down and the chances of bad things happening go up. Especially when you are 95%+ full. So in the case above, you don't have 150 to play with, more like 75-100GB. Unless you tweak things and are anal about what gets installed on that SSD drive.