Moving back to my desktop :)

I need some help.  For various health reason, I bought a laptop against all your recommendations.  I do not like it and I want to move back to my desktop.  My desktop was giving me issues before breaking it down, so what I want to do is wipe it totally clean and install an antivirus and my Photoshop programs, but I do not want to lose all my pictures on there, I do not have an external hard drive to put them all on right now, is there another way of saving them before wiping it clean.  My husband is normally my computer guru but even he is stumped on this one. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks Samantha,

I was hoping for a better way but I had a feeling that was my only option.  There are to many pictures on that computer to store on a USB.  I keep saying one day I will eventually buy an external hard drive and I think the time has really come.  Now I know nothing about them, after they are all on there would I be able to view them to pick and choose certain ones I want to put back on there for re-editing to see my progress?  I don't want them all on there but I would like to see a before & after Damien's class haha  Is there a recommended external or one brand to stay away from?  tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  

I'm sure @Brian has some specific recommendations. I just have a 1tb Seagate drive. 

And yes, you can view the files on the harddrive and decide which ones you want to put back on your computer etc. It works just the same as a giant USB drive, with windows explorer.

Damien also recommends a cool program called SyncToy that helps you set up backups for your external. (Which you should be doing anyways, especially for special and important images) Thats something you can worry about though once you have your PC reloaded. :)

• Like 1

Oh, I just re-read the original comment. In reality, a EHD is your only option at this point.

Unless you have decent internet and use a cloud service like Dropbox. Unfortunately, that costs as much as a EHD because you'll more than likely need the 1TB paid version of Dropbox. 

17 hours ago, nikki_neste said:

I'm just ready to be back in my desktop and off this laptop.

This warms my heart. :D

Get your files and important things onto an external HD. You can get a 1TB EHD for less than $100 these days.

As far as your desktop, MAKE SURE YOU CREATE THE RECOVERY MEDIA before Nuking the computer. If it was a store-bought computer, it would have bugged you to do this when you first got it. Most people ignore those prompts and never seem to get around creating the recovery media. With this media, taking it back to "Day 1" is pretty easy to do. Of course, if you want to install something like Windows 10 Pro fresh, then that's a whole other can of worms. The easiest way to Nuke your desktop is with the software that came with it. Look for it under your Manufacture's name in the Start Menu. It might be listed as "Create Recovery Media" or "Make System Boot Disks" or something along those lines. You'll see it and it will prompt you for either a fresh/clean ThumbDrive or a couple of blank DVDs to create the set.

• Like 1

I will definitely be doing that this weekend when my husband can set it all back up.  I thought a laptop would make my life so much easier because it's hard for me to sit at a desk for long periods of time, so I told my husband I will just make my desktop work for me rather than I work for it and find a way that I can sit there comfortably.  And yes, setting it on the floor and using a bean bag chair is weighing heavily on my mind :)

What you need is a desk that fits you height-wise. The "Standard" desk height is 28" (I think.) Some people like 26", others 30". So it really depends on the person. Believe it or not, your elbow / arm position being caused by the height of the desk makes all the difference. I had my desk too high and after long periods of time, usually during a wedding edit, I had severe upper back pain. It was only after I lowered the desk by 2" did it make the problem go away. Yes, just 2" made a HUGE difference.

The second thing you probably need to have purchased instead of a laptop is a high-quality chair. Not the El-Cheapo ones you get at Staples or an OfficeMax. No...I'm talking about a real desk-chair that makes your arse feel as if it's being "Coddled by Angels." Those chairs cost as much as laptops and usually start at the $500 mark. ;)

Something to think about.

Wow I had no idea, it could be from my desk being to high, but that's exactly my problem is my back starts killing me after an hour of sitting there.  I did not buy the laptop (christmas present).  A better chair is definitely a good idea.  Thank you for these pointers, will keep those in mind and keep an eye out for things like that.  I have a totally off topic subject, I am looking for a spot in the RAW class to ask Damien a question about my RAW editing, but I cannot find it, any idea where to look?  When it was all on facebook, Raw questions could only be posted in the RAW class, is it different here?  I don't want to get in trouble or go in time out :) haha

56 minutes ago, nikki_neste said:

I have a totally off topic subject, I am looking for a spot in the RAW class to ask Damien a question about my RAW editing, but I cannot find it, any idea where to look?  When it was all on facebook, Raw questions could only be posted in the RAW class, is it different here?  I don't want to get in trouble or go in time out :) haha

Nikki, if you were in the FB Raw class, you've been grandfathered into the Deluxe Raw class here.  You can ask general questions about the class as comments on each slide in the class, and if you want to post your own photos for mentoring, go to the Raw Class Posting Area, the subforum right below the Raw Class subforum here on the site.  Right here:

image.jpeg

Thank you so much, I was not in the RAW class on facebook, but I was in the layers and mask class and Ask Damien and I remember seeing him frequently telling people to post their question in RAW, so I was looking for a specific posting place for general questions about RAW editing but don't necessarily pertain to an individual slide.  

Edited by nikki_neste

Try posting your question -- it's impossible for us to tell you where to put it without knowing what it is, so you may as well just post it in the comments of the slide where you think it makes the most sense.  It'll get moved if needed.