Issues with Adobe Bridge CC downloader

This is my set up:

MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.1 ( I do need to update)

Canon 5D MII

Connecting to laptop using the canon usb cord to a usb/usb-c

I'm backing up to a 2tb external hard drive which is also connected to my laptop via a usb/usb-c converter.

Here are my issues:

1) I will often times get an error that says "No valid files found" and "This device does not contain and supported media". If I refresh it may see some of the files show up. Each time I refresh it will see more files until the complete number is there. 

1712520521_AdobeBridgeCCissuecopy.thumb.jpg.ac808da74c0093e6d37acb4958f7560c.jpg

2) Next issue - when I've selected the files I want to download, chosen the location to download, renamed/numbered etc hit "ok" SOMETIMES it will download without incident. MOST of the time it stops and gives me this error and I have to download bit by bit until I've completed the task. I've also noticed that when this happens a new Bridge window will appear so I will sometimes have 2-4 Bridge windows open... super weird.

AdobeBridgeCCissue_2.thumb.jpg.b9de35988a7a6eef319fd941d4e241fa.jpg

Any insight on what I could do differently to fix this issue would be great. I started noticing this issue when I was still using my iMac (sierra 10.13.3). Is the processor on my camera too slow as it's an older model camera? Do I need to replace the camera cord and lose the usb/usb-c connector? I've reinstalled bridge as well... It's SO frustrating to download images. Any thoughts on this or an easier way - anything welcome! Thanks for your time!

Edited by AlyssaAlbers

Alright!! I'm actually reading this post on my computer. :)

First things first, YES...you do need to update. I can understand wanting to wait on Mojave, but please update to the latest version of High Sierra. It's up to 10.13.6  as I type this and is very stable. When Apple gets to xx.xx.6 (or even .5) the OS has most of the bugs worked out and is worth upgrading to. So let's get that done before we start dorking around with things. Oh, after the OS is updated, make sure you are on the latest versions of your software, including Adobe's products.

Second, I'm going to copy and past my above comment and then delete it.

I like keeping thing simple and when it comes to dealing with images on cards and transferring them onto a Macintosh Computer, it's always better to download via a card reader. Again, NEVER download from a camera via a USB cable when it comes to a Mac! Life is too short to deal with the unpredictability of trying to download one's images via a camera/usb connection on a Mac. There are too many variables of the camera being detected properly, having access to the images in a consistent manner, *SIGH," just don't. ;) If you do not own a card reader, please purchase one. Life is so much easier with a card reader when it comes to Macs. Yes, even if you have been doing it this way for years, get a card reader and skip using your camera. The one I linked to is $32.50. I promise it will make your life simpler and take the guesswork out of the equation. Your images will transfer to the EHD a bit faster too.

Third, I never use a program like bridge or whatever to download files to my Mac. As the common theme to this thread plays out...I ALWAYS use a card reader and manually copy the files from my card to my external HD. Once I have all the raw files moved over, then Bridge / LR / Photo Mechanic come into play. Now there is a bit of minor setup that you need to do to get this to work properly, and I will post screen shots demonstrating what needs to be turned on. This will take 30 seconds.

• Open the Finder Menu and head to the Finder's Preferences Section

937540201_ScreenShot2018-09-20at8_04_23AM.thumb.png.397332066c9b9b18af8d7872c695750b.png

• Head to the General Tab and make sure Hard Disks, External Disks, and CDs, DVD,s and iPods is checked. This will allow your Camera's Cards to appear on the Desktop, just like a Thumbdrive or External Hard Drive.

1057487773_ScreenShot2018-09-20at8_05_29AM.thumb.png.04508c66fd04db681aa7a9d734c29898.png

• After these items are checked, click the Red Circle in the upper left corner to save the changes. Now things like EHDs and other media like Thumbdrives & your camera's cards will appear on the desktop. This way all you have to do is double click on the card, go through a few folders, do a Select All (Command + A) on your Raw files, right-click on them and choose copy. Never "Cut" and paste important files, always use copy and then paste. This way if something screws up during the data transfer, you can go back and try it again. If you "Cut" files, you are moving (deleting) the source file and that is a bad thing to happen when something goes wrong during the data transfer. I speak from personal experience. I used to be a "Cut and Paste" person for years, like since Windows 3.0, and then one time did something go horribly wrong. I lost files for a client that were not recoverable or could be recreated easily. I learned my lesson on that one.

• Anyway, here is what you can expect to see on your Mac's desktop with those items checked:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.16.33 PM.png

• Here is a shot of my card a few folders down:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.18.19 PM.png

As you can see, by using a Card Reader, you turn your Camera's Cards into an External Hard Drive, for lack of a better term. After you transfer your images, simply right click on the Card Reader and hit "Eject" to un-mount the CF / SD media. Easy-Peasy.

Hi Brian,  THIS IS AMAZING!!!! I've updated to 10.13.6. Card reader is on order and I will complete set up upon it's arrival. Now my only question is WHY did I not reach out sooner??? Good news is I have a little hair left ;). A thousand thank yous for your time and knowledge!!

• Thanks 1