NIKON speedlight with Canon body?

Jennysager

Ok friends I have a Canon 40D and the speed light I’ve had just blew and a friend lending me his Nikon 
According to google I can use on manual, curious as to your thoughts. I’m retiring from my photography business after this last event so not wanting to invest in another. Thanks for your posts in advance

9D29438C-51C4-427D-9E4F-429E86D325C9.jpeg

Yeah, you can use it in full manual mode. Your Canon body will just active the flash, similar to a simple trigger.  No TTL. No Auto Mode what-so-ever and it won’t break anything.

You will have to keep the subject distance in mind (inverse Square Law) and know that your aperture controls flash power setting and shutter speed controls your ambient light. You will probably be at 1/200th or slower to match your camera’s sync speed. 

Shooting without TTL isn’t too bad especially once you find your happy place and know where to stand. I’d practice a bit and fiddle with things before shooting any gigs. 

Good Luck!! 

Thanks so much 

one more question

if I pass my camera along to a friend after this event will they be able not to use it if just use manly portrait or auto settings with this flash or needs to be someone with the knowledge of shutter speed, aperture etc? 

If you pass your camera onto someone, I would highly recommend them starting with a Canon Flash. Even if you have to rent one for a few days.

Again, since your camera will only fire the flash, and there is no AUTO-ANYTHING. This person will need to shoot in manual mode for the best results and use manual flash. Since this is a gig, and you have an assistant that might not be proficient in this area, I'd rent a flash. It's $43 for seven days, plus any other fees like shipping and insurance.