Platypod

Collette

Good Day Brian,

I see previously you have mentioned you have a Platypod. I was looking at them a while ago, on my Amazon wish list. Can you tell me about them and what tripod head you recommend for them? I use Nikon D810. Or do you recommend another system? I would be looking for lightweight travel gear instead of a tripod and this seems to be a pretty good piece of gear.

Cheers

Yeah, it's interesting to use. I personally purchased the larger Platypod Max, which is the $99 model. Were you thinking about that model or the smaller Ultra Platypod? Your choice between the two models will determine your tripod head options and budget will come into play as well.

So before I start rambling, you have a D810, fantastic. Will the Battery Grip be mounted? What lenses would be mounted when using the Platypod? What are you photographing? Extended time-lapse or just simple shots while roaming around? How much were you looking to spend on both the Ballhead and Platypod? 

Oh, one more question. Do you have a tripod now? Any current quick release plates or a QR System? (Arca, Manfrotto, etc.)

I am looking at the Max. Right now the heaviest lens I have is the 24-70mm, no battery grip. At some point in time, I will be saving up for the 70-200 either f2.8 or the f4 that you say is sharp even at f4. I own a Manfrotto tripod (el cheapo one but can handle the weight just fine) so I have the quick release plate from that I could use and is typically always on my camera.

I would be hoping to spend $200 or less for the tripod head.

Photos - anything really. Night exposure and shots where the angle of view would make it difficult to hold the camera. take with me on vacation because oddly enough, Mexico doesn't allow tripods as carry-on going out of their country but a Platypod would be just fine and takes up way less space and weight.

Edited by Collette

Since you already have a Manfrotto System, the Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head will work for your setup. As I type this, it's $72.41. 

Here is my Platypod Max with this particular Ball Head mounted:

5985332B-A0C6-40C6-90A5-26A2DAC12C42.jpeg

As you can see, the locking lever is pretty close to the Platypod. This lever is a "Ratcheting" type. Which means you tug it out slightly and then reposition the lever so you can move it to tighten things down.

0BF0BFFE-C3EF-48EC-9C6C-9B9C4118E566.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Guess what was on my Xmas wish list and guess what I got! Now my next project, not sure if the beaches accommodate where we are staying for vacation but, I hope to catch some sunrises there. Just gotta watch and plan that tide.

• Like 1

Using it will force you to be creative. Look for all sorts of places to put it. From a rock, to an old pier, to even some driftwood. Just be sure to wear clothes that can get dirty, since you might be on the ground. Or bring a wireless trigger so you can fire your camera without rolling around in the sand. 

• Like 1