Dual Core with more Ram vs Quad Core with less Ram?

lbg27

I'm looking for a new to me Macbook Pro 13". I want to buy refurbished and was just looking for ones with 16mb ram and 1 tb hd since you can't upgrade them after anymore (at least I think you can't). My question: is 8 mb ram in a quad-core processor faster/equivalent/slower than 16mb ram in a dual-core processor? 

I've attached two options I found. These aren't the only two, but these are the two I've narrowed it down to, so if I should be looking for different specs, let me know - thanks in advance to all who take time to help!!

** In case it matters: I plan on traveling with this and using it as my main editing computer. When home, I'll most likely connect it to a monitor. Right now I have a 27" iMac and do most of my editing there, but want something more portable.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 5.28.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 5.29.41 PM.png

Good question!! 

Since you are using this as a editing computer, I’d say Quad Core, though this is a tough answer. The latest versions of PS CC is being programmed to take advantage of a multi-core CPUs and the architecture that makes a i7 fast. So going forward CPU and GPU will be just as important as RAM.

For general computing, checking e-mail, wasting time on FB, then I’d lean towards Dual Core. 

In reality, I’d like Quad Core and 16GB of RAM. :) 

Thank you - I'll price out quad-core with 16mb ram. I appreciate the help!

And do you think it is enough to use as the main processor (with an external monitor) or should I keep my iMac which is a 3.5 ghz i7 - 16mb ram. I know you are partial to not editing on a laptop, but wondering what you think when it is connected to an external monitor.

I’d upgrade the RAM in your iMac to 32GB before forking our money for a Mac laptop that you’ll only get about 4 years out of. 

But if you are set on getting a laptop, one with a Quad Core, 16GB RAM and 1TB HD should work just fine. 

Thank you! I have to have a laptop as I travel a lot for work and am sometimes gone for 2 months at a time. Right now I've maxed out my 15" macbook pro from 2009 with 8 gb ram and I put in a 1 TB SSD two years ago to speed it up. But I am still on Yosemite and apple says I can't upgrade this computer because it is so old. Plus, the mouse stops working every now and then...so its time....will be sad to see it go, but I've certainly gotten my use out of it. 

Can I piggy back a question onto this? If I keep my iMac and upgrade the ram (as well as get a laptop), what do you recommend as being the easiest way to work on both seamlessly. Dropbox isn't an option since when I travel I don't have internet. Would love to hear your thoughts as I may keep the desktop and upgrade the ram if there is a good solution. Right now, I use external hard drives for most things, but not sure how stable that is and feel like it impacts performance. What are your thoughts?

Cool - I guess I could use that as my "hard drive" and get a smaller internal if needed. You know, I probably could take out the I TB SSD that I put in my old MBP two years ago and put that in a housing.....hmmm....stuff to think about. Thank you for your help and advice!

Thumb Drives are so easy to lose. That SSD Drive is meant to walk around with, the big loop allows you to hang off a backpack. It has my attention. Without any consistent Ethernet, you are going to have to live off an external HD. 

If you do go smaller with an internal drive, do not go any smaller than 500GB.