24-70mm for Canon

T4asel

I currently have the first version of the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L.  I have not been happy with this lens from day 1, but that's beside the point.  I can get by with it for now, but with the holiday sales, I'm considering upgrading to the either Tamron or Canon's newest versions.  What do you think the better option would be since Canon's doesn't have IS, or should I wait until they come out with IS? That's the biggest downfall for Canon's lens, especially at that price point, and my hands can be shaky.  Thank you!

Oh, I feel your pain. The Canon 24-70 Version I lens is a piece of junk. Normally, I'm a OEM Snob...but that original Canon 24-70 f/2.8L is just garbage. I know several photographers in real-life and online who can not trust their 24-70 lenses on a gig. Heck, there is a camera store in New Jersey that would make you take home a lens for a weekend to try it out because they got tired of the returns. According to them, 4 out of 5 original Canon 24-70 lenses where defective. You can not trust the used market either, because Photographers dump that lens. That said, there are a few good copies, so if someone reading this has one and it's fine...don't worry too much about it.

The good news? They fixed all of the issues with the "Version II" lens and it's on sale!!  Personally, I'd get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. What do you shoot? Moving kids or more stationary subjects? You might find that using a tripod will help. Also what shutter speeds are you normally at and what body are you shooting with? Because the more MegaPixels a camera has, the less forgiving it is and the better your technique needs to be. Even with IS.

You just made me feel so much better!!  All this time I thought I was doing something wrong and I wasn't confident in providing great images to my clients so I quietly backed out of family sessions.  This could completely change my "game" and what I shoot.  I don't ever use it unless it's for still shots with lighting....newborns, school and team portraits.  But I would use it more for action/kids if I liked it!  I try not to shoot lower than 160th if I'm photographing MY kids.  I shoot with the 5DMkIII.  I always try to keep my shutter as high as I can without compromising the image.  I keep my 70-200 f/2.8L v2 on my camera.  Love that lens and use it most of the time.  Personal, sports, senior portraits, pretty much anything where I have the space to use it.  Oh...you make this even more enticing for me to get...especially with the Private Sales B&H is offering right now on top of Canon's holiday sales.  Hmmm.... :)

Honestly? I don't think it's your technique as it's just a crappy lens. You might think it's due to your hands shaking; I think it just doesn't focus correctly. All of the folks who had issues with the original Canon 24-70 have not complained / had issues with the Version II.

What would I do?

Buy the new Canon 24-70 Version II lens while it's on sale.