PS dropping Graphics Card

Hi Brian,

My laptop is an ASUS FX53VD-RS71 Notebook equipped with Intel i7-7700HQ @2.80GHZ, 8GB DDR4 RAM (plus 4GB DDR4 RAM Upgrade, Machine to 12GB total), Nvidia GTX 1050 4GB Video Card,  1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Windows 10.  Purchased Sept 10, 2017.  

When I first got it set up, I noticed PS was using the Intel (R) HD Graphics 630.  Photoshop was working fine, so I didn't question it.  I should mention I only use this laptop, maybe once every 3 or 4 months.  In Nov 2017, I went to use it and PS dropped the video card entirely, wasn't even bringing up the check box to check mark the graphics card.  I called Adobe, they ran a Nvidia driver update which then recognized the graphics card (GTX1050).  

This week I went to use it again and the same thing, PS dropped the Nvidia graphics card again, check box is greyed out.  I also noticed when I clicked on Nvidia control panel, it was telling me no graphics card, couldn't even access the Nvida card in the laptop.  I gave up trying to find the driver updates online.  

Also the power brick gets red hot, which is unsettling as well.  

I've called the computer shop where I purchased it and they want to charge me a diagnostic fee, etc. etc.  Also called ASUS and of course, because it's over the one year warranty, it's up to me to pay the repairs.  I think I've been sold a dud for $1600.00.  

At this point what do you recommend?  Removing graphics card completely and doing a fresh install or can you link me to the proper Driver download?  (Running PS CC2017)  Thanks in advance.

Fresh install / format might help things. You will more than likely have to download the driver from Asus, even though it's an Nvidia card. The power brick also concerns me, you might want to get that replaced first. Personally, I wouldn't throw any money at a laptop. In fact, I'm very anti-laptop, especially for photo editing.

The biggest problem with laptops, is that they only last for a short time. Not only from a hardware standpoint, but driver updates as well. Laptops today get orphaned so quickly; back in the day, you'd have a Spring Line and a Fall Line of laptops. You could get all sorts of accessories for it, a year or two after purchase. Now...you are lucky if the laptop model stays current for 90 Days.

So what would I do? Backup everything, and format / reset the laptop / reinstall windows, etc. etc.

Ok, thanks Brian.  

As I mentioned earlier, I only use it very minimal, like if I go away on a weekend or take it up north on our summer vacation so I can view my photos (I’m too impatient to wait until I return home, lol!). 

I talked to the computer shop again and insisted on a new power supply which they are going to order in.  I guess I’ll take it in tomorrow and have them deinstall the Nvidia card and reinstall to start.

What is the advantage to reinstalling Windows?  Just so I’m clear when I go in.

Just in case you have a corrupted operating system. It's something that you could do that shouldn't cost you any money if you did it yourself. I'm not saying to just re-install windows, I'm saying you nuke the computer (format it and take it back to day #1) and reload everything fresh.

To be honest, I have no clue why PS is not seeing your video card or why its doing what it's doing. Since updating the driver seems to temporarily fix things, I'd say you do have a software / driver problem. The only way to fix that type of problem is to remove / re-install drivers, update to a newer driver or if those options do not work, format the HD, re-install Windows and reload everything from scratch. Of course, the third option is the last resort; however, I've been doing this process lately with customer's computers and even their servers. Back in the Windows XP days, I used to format my HD twice a year due to weird issues / garbage that it would collect during normal use. It seems that we are back to those Good 'ol Days. :/

Hi Brian, 

Laptop is still in computer shop, bad graphics card.  It's my understanding they wiped out the computer and tried reloading both Windows 10 and Nvidia card, graphics card still didn't work.  He is going to do something with the BIOS this weekend (whatever that means) to see if it will bring back the graphics card. 

I am looking to buy a new laptop and trade in/resell the notebook.  I'm currently looking at the ASUS ROG series (Mothership, Zephyrus, Strix, Matrix models), trying to sift through all of the specs, particularily the screen specs, wanting a matte IPS display as you recommend. and my head is spinning.  As per ASUS' wbsite, some models say they are IPS Levels equipped, and/or anti glare screen.  Is the anti glare screen going to screw up my calibration when the time comes?  

I want the best, regardless of the price.  Which ASUS ROG laptop do you recommend?  Thanks.

Edited by candyK

Sounds like they are trying to do a BIOS upgrade. Since the video card is part of the motherboard, that's what will be replaced. Unless it's a separate component, which is doubtful as that method costs the manufactures more money to implement.

The funny thing with laptops, if you ask me...I DON'T RECOMMEND LAPTOPS. LOL!! I hate laptops but people are obsessed with portability and I got tired of arguing.

Anyway...

Yeah, I get what you mean about your head spinning. Mine does as well. The main concern that I have these days with laptops is the stupid small SSD boot drives. A 128 / 256 SSD drive is microscopic by today's standards. You want at least a 500GB SSD. The reason is that not only will you lose a chunk after formatting and the Windows OS, but going forward with some future update is that Windows 10 will reserve a chunk of your HD so it can push down new features / updates. With a 128GB SSD drive, that leaves you no room other than just the operating system itself. No programs, no files, just Windows. OK, maybe you can install PS but hopefully you get what I'm saying...with a 128GB / 256GB SSD drive, you have to be ANAL on what is installed on it at all times. There is no "nextnextnext...ok-ok-ok..nextnext...finish" when it comes to installing things. The ability to just dump everything on your C Drive goes away as well. With those smaller drives comes more inconveniences, and you having to think things through. 

So while you might find a laptop that has a great display, be sure to take a look at the HD configuration. More than likely it will have a 256GB + 1TB HD combo. For example:

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 12.17.49 PM.png

See that 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB? That's what I'm talking about. I'd like to see at least 500GB and that is tough to find in a pre-configured laptop / off the shelf laptop. You really are going to have to go the custom route in getting what you want.

That ROG Mothership GZ700 looks very interesting. They are taking the Microsoft Surface Line and putting their spin on it. What's holding up the release date is the Intel i9 CPU. Good luck finding one. As far as availability, Asus says April 2019 but I'm thinking more like August. At the very least June. Oh, that mothership has two power bricks to run that thing, so it's not as "portable" as one might thing. It's more like the "Luggables" back in the 1980's were. 

As far as which ROG Laptop, good question. Your guess is a good as mine. I did find one that checked all the boxes, well ASUS did some fiddling, but the cost is $3499. That's MacBook Pro money. I can not justify spending $3500 on something you will get 3-4 years out of. I did some checking and it's not only the Display Panel you need to be concerned about, which makes things difficult to begin with, now it's the stupid small main drive problem.

I can't find an Asus ROG laptop to recommend. The ones I find are a few years old and are discontinued.

• Thanks 1

Thank you ever so kindly, Brian.

Currently digesting all of the info you've shared and looking at Tammy's thread, I see it's an IPS Anti- Glare Display.  Stupid question perhaps but is this another term for Matte display?   

Edited by candyK

5 hours ago, candyK said:

built in memory card reader

Because it's a laptop meant for Gamers. Besides, I just use a card reader anyway as those manufacturers never really put the best card readers in their systems. Plus, on my camera, I have a CF and a XQD slot. I have usually seen SD card readers in laptops, never CF readers or anything else. So for me, this is actually a good thing. I'd rather have the space not taken up by something that I would never use, in exchange for an extra USB 3.1 Port or something similar.

5 hours ago, candyK said:

PS Anti- Glare Display

Yeah, it's another way of saying Matte.

• Thanks 1