Camera body upgrade - advice

SRH

I currently have a Rebel XS, and have only really learned how to *really* use it in the last year or do. I'm just a hobbyist, and mostly take pictures of my kid, family, and friends. I wanted to get into astrophotography, but that's not really a priority (and virtually impossible with this body)

The noise in my images even at ISO 400 is ridiculous, and I think after 8 (9?) years it's time for an upgrade and would like to go full frame (is that just overkill?). 

I've been drooling over the 5D III for its low light capabilities, but at $3K (Cdn), I'm hesitant. Is there a better option for low light than the 5D III? (I'm not really interested in th video capabilities)

Ideally, I'd like to hold on to my next camera for a decade or so, just like I have with my current one. 

Any advice is appreciated!

Also, I likely won't be able to actually make the purchase until spring or summer, it that impacts the answer.

Yes, it's time for an upgrade. The 5D MKIII is a fine camera. I highly recommend it. In your case the 6D, is also an option. Fortunately, with the current Nikon announcements (Nikon D5 & D500,) Canon is about to release a few new bodies of their own. So by the time Spring / Summer rolls around, you might have some new choices. :)

In addition, before you take the plunge to Full Frame, we will need to review your current lens line-up. The majority of the time, crop-body-only lenses really cripple a full frame camera and really are not recommended. So if you have any EF-S lenses, they are CROP BODY ONLY lenses. It's the EF lenses that are full frame. So it can be a shock to some that the average cost to switch to Full Frame runs about $4000-$4500, conversationally speaking. (Figure a $3000 FF body and a few prime lenses or a single zoom lens for around $1500 or so.)

So lets talk lenses, tripods, camera releases and then camera bodies. You have plenty of time.

Thanks Jason & Brian! 

Lenses .. I only have 3, and really I use my 50mm 1.4 (EF) about 99% of the time. My other two lenses are EF-S lenses (18-55 kit lens and 55-250). I very much doubt I'd miss them if/when they're gone. 

Well, then you will only have one lens to work with. The 50 will be "Wider" due to the angle of view change. To get the "look" as your 50 does on your rebel, you'll need at least an 85mm lens. 

Most folks get the Canon 85mm f/1.8, since it's cheaper than the 85 1.2L, but the 85 1.8 is NOTORIOUS for chromatic aberration. (Purple/Blue Fringes in high contrast areas. Think tree branches against a bright sky. Lots of purple and blue around the edges.) I usually recommend a Canon 100 f/2.0 lens. NOT THE MACRO LENS, THE PORTRAIT LENS. It's the 135 f/2.0 counterpoint. 

The Canon 100mm f/2.0 is the lens I think you should buy with your FF body purchase. Of course, since you are doing Astro Photography, you could go really wide. 

Oh, there is the Nikon D810a, which is built for Astrophotography. Have you considered switching sides? 

Maybe rent a D810a and 14-24 f/2.8 or even a 24mm f/1.4? Just a thought. 

On 2/21/2016 at 11:00 PM, Brian said:

Well, then you will only have one lens to work with. The 50 will be "Wider" due to the angle of view change. To get the "look" as your 50 does on your rebel, you'll need at least an 85mm lens. 

Most folks get the Canon 85mm f/1.8, since it's cheaper than the 85 1.2L, but the 85 1.8 is NOTORIOUS for chromatic aberration. (Purple/Blue Fringes in high contrast areas. Think tree branches against a bright sky. Lots of purple and blue around the edges.) I usually recommend a Canon 100 f/2.0 lens. NOT THE MACRO LENS, THE PORTRAIT LENS. It's the 135 f/2.0 counterpoint. 

The Canon 100mm f/2.0 is the lens I think you should buy with your FF body purchase. Of course, since you are doing Astro Photography, you could go really wide. 

So the angle of view of the 50 on a crop will be similar to an 85 on a FF. Is there any distortion that comes along with the change?

On 2/21/2016 at 11:03 PM, Brian said:

Oh, there is the Nikon D810a, which is built for Astrophotography. Have you considered switching sides? 

Maybe rent a D810a and 14-24 f/2.8 or even a 24mm f/1.4? Just a thought. 

As silly as it may sound, I just like the feel of Canon cameras. I've used others' Nikons here and there and I'm just not a fan. I don't handle change very well haha :)

• Like 1

I'm the same way. I can not stand Canon's Menu System, nor the feel of their cameras. 

Since optically the 85mm is 85mm and 50mm is 50mm, you'll get more compression due to the longer focal length, which is more flattering for portraits. The angle of view change happens at the sensor.