NEW PC Time

I've scanned through the already asked questions and hope I've built this all correctly.  A friend of mine has helped me price out what it would be to build my own vs what I configured on Dell.  With all this, I have no idea if I am comparing apples to apples!

I have this setup for the Dell (I hope I got everything suggested in other posts)

image.thumb.png.a5f5e897d2e459d06b41e18955b38848.png

VS What my friend designed:

image.thumb.png.0ba63a40581b197c05b31f45d8ab57e9.png

image.thumb.png.901160880701092958e649cde755ff5f.png

My main question - am I comparing apples to apples? and would you downgrade the ram in the DELL PC and then upgrade on your own?

Either is fine. Your friend's build will give you a little more performance, as the Motherboard will be a bit faster and so will the RAM be. The only thing that I don't like about your friend's build is the Segate 4TB 5400 RPM Drive. I'm sure that's due to savings, as $85 is pretty cheap for a 4TB. My personal preference is a Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM drive. I've used these hard drives since the early 1990's and never had one fail. They run fast and run cool and are solid drives. Personally, I've had more than one Seagate die / smoke on me over the years. Just like a power supply, you don't want to go cheap on your hard drives. You want quality. 

As far as the other components, everything else with your friend's build is fine. Thanks for his list, I'd buy this computer. LOL!!

Thanks!  I ended up getting the Dell because they had a 15% off deal plus some cashback here through a program and cashback there from credit cards, I ended able to get the Dell cheaper than my friends build and didn't have to do the work!  It  will be delivered FRIDAY! Next savings - monitor - or a new camera, I am sure my husband prefers monitor at this point! 

I'd say monitor too. Be sure to use a HDMI cable, or better yet...a Display Port cable for the best performance. Also be sure to budget for a new calibration tool for you new monitor as the older devices / software sometimes doesn't play well with others.

Oh, one more thing, unless you have a very basic entry level camera, it’s more important to invest in better lenses first. That is the fastest way to improve your image quality. So if you need help in this Dept, post in the Gear Talk section.