external hard drives for beginners

oliveoh

I will caveat that my photo storage is a cluster and I am not super computer savvy.  I tried to read through some threads to figure out what I need but really got lost.  Is there some place that references recommended external hard drives?  I have a iMAC and I would like to get all my current photos off of it and stored externally.  I also have a MacBook pro which I no longer use but there are photos on there that are time machined to a Seagate and I'd like to get everything all in one place.  I am NOT a professional photographer but I shoot with a 5DM4 so my files are pretty large if that makes any difference.  Where do I even begin? 

Personally, I like and use G-Drives with my Macs. They are a little more expensive than the $79 special at Best Buy, but are worth it since they tend to use higher quality components. I also recommend that you don’t go cheap on your primary storage device. :) The other benefit to G-Drives is they come Mac formatted and are ready to go out of the box, and they include cables as well.

What year is your iMac and MBP? 

MBP is a 2012, I don't use it because the battery won't hold a charge.  The iMAC 21.5 was purchased January 2018.

For the G drive is 4T enough or should I go higher?

I'd get this one instead:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090478-REG/g_technology_0g04023_g_drive_6tb_7200_thunderbolt_usb3_sata3.html

Thunderbolt 3 is FAST. It's like having another internal drive. Plus, it also has a USB 3.0 port, so it can hook up to your old MBP. As far as the size, I have a 12TB G-Drive. LOL!! 4TB is what I'd have at a minimum these days. 8TB is good if you can afford it.