EHD recommend for PC Desktop

CaseyC.

Hello! My first time posting here. I am also not tech savvy, so please excuse that. I am looking for reccomendations for External Hard Drives. I read some previous threads for recommendations for Macs, but I didn't know if that applies to a windows PC or not. So I figured I would ask! Thank you.. 

• Like 1

One thing I usually do not recommend are the $79 Special at the Box Stores, as they are usually lower-end, low-quality drives. You want to avoid anything "Eco Friendly" or "Green" when it comes to External Hard Drives as well. I have found those type of drives have high failure rates over the years. What to look for? A 7200RPM USB 3.0 Hard Drive. I like the Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive line, and I think I have found one that is in an EHD Configuration:

WD 8TB MyBook

One thing I noticed is that the EHD is formatted to a ExFAT partition, rather than the typical GPT Disk Type. ExFAT is compatible with both Mac & PC, but it's not fool-proof and would recommend you re-partition / reformat the hard drive to the Windows GPT Partition and NTFS filesystem. (I know, "Huh?" Just get back to me if you purchase that drive.)

Is this EHD going to stay in one place, like on your desk, or move around with you? How large do you need the capacity to be? If you are going to use this on say, a laptop and carry it with you all over the place, then a SSD Drive might make more sense, though that is at a higher cost per Gigabyte.

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. The hard drive will be sitting on my desk and not moving. It will be used for work, I am a photographer, and also to store personal images of my family. I am looking for a good quality and probably around 3+TB. I don't mind spending over $100 on a good drive since this is an investment into my business. If I can find something I don't have to reformat that would be great because I am not the most tech savvy, but I can follow directions. Also, my husband is good with this kind of stuff...

That's the problem, as Macs become more commonplace, having to reformat drives is the norm. It's not THAT hard. Just a few steps and I can walk you through it. It's literally a 5 min process. Honestly, it's better in the long run if you do it.

The Amazon link I gave above has 4TB Models and it's around $92. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=twister_B07CMLR679?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much! I am going on vacation Thursday, so I will order it when I get back and will take you up on the walk through to reformat!