Pano stitching - wide angle

HeatherH

I'd love to stitch these into a pano, and I don't usually have too much trouble either getting PS to do it, or resorting to hand blending. But because I was standing on a bend in the path and shooting with a wide angle, there's quite a bit of distortion. PS does well with the foreground, but mangles the trees in the background. Any suggestions for where to start? I'm assuming I'll need to do some kind of transformation here, but I'm not sure where to drag the handles. TIA!

pano-5.jpg

pano-4.jpg

pano-3.jpg

pano-2.jpg

pano.jpg

That's the same result I got. The foreground is good, but look at the alignment of the trees in the center. And PS applies some auto-blending (maybe I can turn that off??) so that I can't just play with the masks.

Sometimes I feel like I just need to ask here to get my brain to work :-/  I unchecked the "auto-blend" box, and checked the "correct geometric distortion" box. There are still some things I need to fix, but it's looking much better!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HeatherH said:

That's the same result I got. The foreground is good, but look at the alignment of the trees in the center. And PS applies some auto-blending (maybe I can turn that off??) so that I can't just play with the masks.

Ha I didn't even notice that. 

I am still able to mess with the masks though. Just make sure you don't have the "content aware fill" option turned on when you are using the photomerge tool. 

I do have that turned off :)
I should be clearer about the masks - you can still edit them, but PS has applied blending to the background images, so you can see evidence of stitching even if you play with the masks. It probably wouldn't be so obvious in a photo like this, but it stands out significantly in images with smooth gradients (sunsets over open water). I'll post once I finish the masking.

• Like 1

In the event that someone else asks:
I did the "auto"  photomerge selection, with blending off and "geometric distortion" correction on. That took care of most of it. Then I just played with the masks until things were lined up. I thought I was going to have to do some cloning, but I haven't at this point.

panostitch.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 1.50.23 PM.png

• Like 2