LR 5 import error using card reader

Just updated to El Capitan, tried importing images into LR from a card reader like I always do? Getting an error message! They show up on card and I can see them.  

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 9.56.00 AM.png

What happens when you just download then straight from your card onto your hard drive (leaving LR out of this entirely)?  Are your raw files intact and visible then?

Note that what you see on your camera or as thumbnails in a Finder window are just the tiny jpg preview files that your camera makes for every raw file.  So just because you can see them on your camera doesn't mean that the raw files aren't corrupted, unfortunately. 

Oh and I used two different cards (two different days) on my D700 and they both are showing error.  Then today used a different camera D600/different type of card and they imported just fine.

5 hours ago, Christy said:

I just tried moving the NEF file over from card to desktop, then double clicking on it.  It opens into PS/Camera Raw.

So the file opens properly in ACR?

Then what happens if you download all the files directly onto your hard drive, and then import them from your hard drive into LR?