Monitor ppi

I cannot see that this question has already been asked, excuse me if it has.

My current monitor is a Dell U2311H, with a screen resolution of 1920 x1080. It seems to be beginning to have problems with the corners of the screen going darker and darker, so I have started to look for a replacement. One of the screens offered is a BenQ BL 2420 PT, 24" screen, which is in my price range, but it has a screen resolution of 2560 x1440, which my VGA will support via Display port. However I only have Photoshop version CS6, and I seem to be reading about problems with not being able to scale this version so that the text and icons will be too small to view. The ppi of the screen is about 123 ppi whereas my current screen is 92. Will I have problems, should I look only at the 1920x1080 or 1200 screens?

The higher the resolution and more ppi you go, the more things will look smaller, especially if things are utilizing the same physical area. So you are correct, your icons and menus and overall appearance...things will be smaller than what you currently see. If you really want to keep things the same, then look for a screen that is 1920x1080 or 1200, or get a 27" screen that is not 4K. In fact, 2560x1440 is a "typical" native resolution for 27" displays. So that BenQ is cramming 27" of display area into 24", so yes, things are gonna be smaller.

For today's current displays, it's a good idea to use HDMI, DVI-D or DisplayPort for best results. AVOID using the classing (blue) 15-Pin VGA port / aka D-Sub port. That BenQ BL 2420 PT is "Discontinued," Amazon doesn't have it, so what is your price-range? Maybe we can find an alternative.

• Like 2

Actually, THANK YOU for asking a question that wasn't the typical "What computer should I buy?" post. Something different for a change. :)

• Like 3

Something less than about A$500  would be good. The BenQ was A$399, definitely still available here. It had 100% sRGB which was one attraction,also display port,fully adjustable stand. They must have not been able to sell many of them then as it appears to have only been introduced in October 2014. Will the same problems of appearance occur with the 27" screens in their native resolution then or does the larger realestate of the screen compensate for that? Seem like I might have to go somewhere where they have a few on display so that I can see how they look, with text etc.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Will the same problems of appearance occur with the 27" screens in their native resolution then or does the larger realestate of the screen compensate for that?

You buy a 27" screen that is either 4K (or 5K with iMacs) and the same thing will happen. Things get reduced. 100% sRGB is over-rated. In fact, all those monitors promising 99% or 100% is nice, but is a little misleading.

For example, say you are a photographer and sell digital files only. You have a screen that's calibrated and is 100% sRGB. Fantastic!! Good for you!! However, your client's are viewing them on a crappy screen that is nowhere near accurate. Those beautiful creamy pink skin photos turn in to pumpkin toned on the customer's display. Same thing with prints. While it's very important to be calibrated and have your prints match your screen (98% - 100% matching,) each printing company yields different results, because their printers are different or possibly need maintenance/repair. So that 100% sRGB, it's good to shoot for, but it is relative. That's why when you find a printing company that gives you the closest match, you tend to stick with them.

• Like 1

Thank you Brian, you may have missed that I am in Australia.

The Dell U2414H is $A389. Maybe that is what I should get, or perhaps this http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&sku=230-12093

Quite a few of the Asus monitors in the 23-24" range that are in the damiensymonds.net/art monitor article seem to be unavailable here.

Edited by Graham
add link

Australia? Umm...yeah, let's double the price on everything. :/

I love the U2412m display. I've seen one in person. It's what I'd buy if I was buying one. A photographer friend of mine who I work with, I got her to purchase one and that thing is the closet thing to a matte screen without being a matte screen. The damn thing is beautiful. It has a matte coating that works REALLY well. The only downside is that Dell has discontinued that model. So if you see a good deal on one, BUY IT!!

It has a DVI-D port and a DisplayPort for you to use. So you could either use a DVI cable or get a HDMI to (full size...not mini size) DisplayPort cable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graham said:

Quite a few of the Asus monitors in the 23-24" range that are in the damiensymonds.net/art monitor article seem to be unavailable here.

Yep. That's Australia for you. The bulk of the members in Ask Damien, from either this website or FB, are based in the US. Now that doesn't mean we have forgotten everyone else, it's just the way things are. Honestly, I've created a few threads over the years about stuff to buy in Australia and who/where to purchase it. Everything from printing companies to computer hardware companies, it just seems harder to find on your side of the world. Maybe it's because of that huge area of desert that really splits the country. Who knows.... 

• Like 1

Re-sellers like B&H do ship to Australia, so you might want to do some investigating. I'm not sure what the final cost would be, but it might give you a few more choices.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/int-shippingRulesPolicies.jsp

Check out this thread, the "Henry Posner" is the "H" in B & H. Things from B&H take about 8 days or so for shipment and to get through customs.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2224514

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Australia? Umm...yeah, let's double the price on everything. :/

I love the U2412m display. I've seen one in person. It's what I'd buy if I was buying one. A photographer friend of mine who I work with, I got her to purchase one and that thing is the closet thing to a matte screen without being a matte screen. The damn thing is beautiful. It has a matte coating that works REALLY well. The only downside is that Dell has discontinued that model. So if you see a good deal on one, BUY IT!!

It has a DVI-D port and a DisplayPort for you to use. So you could either use a DVI cable or get a HDMI to (full size...not mini size) DisplayPort cable."

I think I have found a store that sells these Dell monitors, and they appear to have a few in stock. If you think they are that good I might give them a try. It's actually listed cheaper than the Dell OZ site!

I really appreciate the time you have spent answering my questions.

Edited by Graham

I receive no commission or kick-backs of any kind. So when I really recommend something, I would personally purchase it myself. :) 

i hate-hate-hate wasting money on this sh*t. 

• Like 1