Scratch Disks

Kellywilson

I have a Mac desktop running Yosemite 10.10.4 and Photoshop just updated today. It is under 2 years old, and has 12GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 941GB free out of 250GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

My computer is a Mac Pro (Late 2013) It is a desktop pro, not a laptop pro.  I mostly work off of an external drive.  The one I currently work off of has about 1T of 2T free. 

I am also now getting a message saying my start up disk is full...clearly that is the case, I need to clean some stuff off, but will that be enough to help with the scratch disk warnings?  What should those settings be?

Thank you!!

Just now, Kellywilson said:

It should be 941 MB of 250 GB

woah! that's your problem, your harddrive is entirely way too full. You need to start transferring things to an external drive and backing up your files immediately. 

I'm going to move your post down to Brian's section so that he can help you with that process. 

• Like 1

The main problem is your HD is only 250GB. That is microscopic by today's standards. You will need to move EVERYTHING off the main drive and use an external Thunderbolt drive. I recommend the Thunderbolt G-Drives, but they aren't cheap. 

Basically, only the OS & programs will be on the main HD. You are going to have to be ANAL on what gets stored on it. No images, no iTunes library. Just the OS and programs. 

• Like 1

What is a G-Drive?  Any brands better than others?  Something like this?  http://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-Thunderbolt-High-Performance-Solution-0G03124/dp/B00HQXUG2Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454448466&sr=8-3&keywords=thunderbolt+G+drive

And THANK YOU so much for your help!

Edited by Kellywilson

cleared off some photos, apparently my computer was syncing photos from my phone which was what was taking up so much photo space.  I do most of my work off of an external as it is.  It is a WD My Passport.  Is the G-Drive better?  If so, faster, more durable?  Why is it better than what I have?

Lastly, do these scratch disk settings look correct?  I just updated CC today and it seems like so many of my custom settings have been reset and I can't remember what they were supposed to be!  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 5.05.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 5.10.23 PM.png

G Drives are "better" in a sense that they use better components and parts. I use them. Chase Jarvis primarily uses them. They are tough drives that last. Especially the "Professional Grade" models. They aren't your $79 Special from a Big Box store.

You are running into dangerous territory AGAIN. That external is almost filled. You need another HD ASAP. 

In reality, you do not want to go more than 75% full on ANY HD, internal or external. 5GB free is NOT GOOD AT ALL. 

Today's GB are yesterday's megabytes. People think that a "Gig" is enough. It's not. You might as well have 5MB free if this was the late 1990's  

Combine that with your D800, and there is no question on why you are running out of room. Either you become ruthless in culling your photos, or you are going to need to get a 4TB HD in the near future. 

46 minutes ago, Kellywilson said:

I will cull some RAW files on that full EHD and then disconnect it from my computer.  Those files are at least a year old, I only pull stuff from there on occasion. 

Thank you so much for the info!!

Just remember, you DO NOT need 75 RAW photos of your lunch from 3 years ago. LMAO!! If it's not going to see the light of day, or hasn't in the last few years, it won't. Good luck culling. The feeling is like shooting your kids, one by one. :)

14 minutes ago, Brian said:

Just remember, you DO NOT need 75 RAW photos of your lunch from 3 years ago. LMAO!! If it's not going to see the light of day, or hasn't in the last few years, it won't. Good luck culling. The feeling is like shooting your kids, one by one. :)

Hahaha, lmao!  Thankfully these were easy to cull, all RAW from client sessions from 2014 and 2015 ;)  I keep the jpeg edits, they don't take up much space and you never know when a client will have a random request for something, so I keep them for now.  I'm sure one day I will ditch them all though!  Anyway, cleared it down to about 20-25% free space, and then disconnected it and put it away. 

I think I'll order a 4T G-Drive, and hopefully that will hold me over for a while!  Will that help with scratch disk space as well?  Sorry for all of the questions, you are so kind to take the time to educate me on this stuff!  I truly appreciate it!  Oh, and the 4T drive you linked to above just takes me back to this thread rather than to a product...any chance you could relink that?