Lost photos on CF card

Teekay

I have a SanDisk 32gb card which had numerous photos on it. Thankfully I downloaded my nieces Formal photos without a problem on Friday, phew.

But yesterday, I took some photos and when I connected the card to the computer, it looks like the directories are there but there is nothing in them. I put the card back in the camera and there are no photos on there.

I ran the SanDisk rescue pro software and all it found were 90 files. All of them old.

I have a feeling all is lost, but thought i would ask on here if there is anything else I could try.

So bizarre.

Edited by Teekay

Unfortunately, you are looking at Extreme Data recovery. It’s not cheap but probably your best bet. Friends of mine have used these guys in the past:

https://www.gillware.com/

The worst thing you can do is keep dorking around with that card with scan after scan. I’d contact Gillware and get a quote. Also, I’d replace the card at this point. 

Data on cards is stored sequentially so if you use the same card over and over, writing the same areas over-and-over and delete images in camera, that makes data recovery much more difficult.

Also, is this a CF card? If so get a flashlight and look at the pins in both the camera and card reader if you use one. You’d be surprised on just how much a bent pin in a CF slot can screw things up. I’ve seen cameras blow up and short out due to a bent pin in the slot. It kills the card and if you use that shorted out card in multiple devices, the problems could follow the card. A wedding photographer friend of mine killed two 5D Mark III bodies during a wedding. Fortunately he had a second shooter with a backup body and they were able to finish the gig. 

I don’t care if people say Flash Media should last decades, cards go bad for no other reason than, “...just because.” :) 

Thank you for your help Brian. Camera is, thankfully, working fine with a different CF card so hopefully no major damage. I am just so grateful I got my nieces formal pics off before the card messed up. I've only lost some family pictures of a day out on our boat so I'll just count myself lucky and bin the CF card at this point ?

• Like 1