50mm lens calibration

MJD

to me this looks like a spot on great calibration. I'm having some trouble out in the field still catching the right focal point... I know a tripod makes a huge difference but I'm "out in the field" it looks like I'm still missing focus or its in focus but fuzzy. I know using a tripod makes a big difference but even with an extremely high shutter speed I'm still not satisfied. The last one is very dark and I wasn't steady.. crazy its off so much just from that.

Anyway... do they look kind of fuzzy to you?

WBC_exp_34.JPG

WBC_exp_35.JPG

WBC_exp_36.JPG

WBC_exp_37.JPG

I KNEW IT!!!!!

The Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G is one of Nikon's worst lenses, ESPECIALLY WHEN USED ON A NIKON D700. In fact, this stupid lens caused more posts than any other lens question when "Ask Brian" was on Facebook.

The Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G constantly back-focuses or just blows focus altogether when used on a Nikon D700!

I hate this stupid lens. In fact, when I release the FAQ Section here on the Website, "Brian's Thoughts," one of the topics will cover the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G. It's that bad.

So the good news is...it's not you and it's not the D700. The bad news is...it's the stupid lens.

How to fix the problem? It will need to be send to Nikon to have it repaired/tweaked. Unfortunately, it will come back a little better, but not much. The older AF-50mm f/1.4D lens works just fine as the newer Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G or even the older "Classic Nifty-Fifty" Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D. Personally, I wouldn't waste money on repairing it. If you NEED 1.4, then purchase the older AF 50mm f/1.4D. It will be cheaper than the cost of shipping and repair to Nikon. Nikon Lenses only have a 5 year warranty, and due to the age of this lens, chances are it's out of Warranty.

If you can live with the 2/3rds of a stop difference, purchase the 50mm f/1.8G lens. If you are looking more towards a portrait / head-shot lens, get the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G lens, which is a fantastic lens and great value.

Insert crying face. I just came here for classes LOL! New computer new lens. Thank you for letting me know that... I’ll look around. Purchasing this lens did let me know my camera body needed a trip to the shop... good to know they fixed it and it’s not that. I almost want a new camera (drool) instead... the newer nikons don’t have an issue with this lens?

Insert crying face. I just came here for classes LOL! New computer new lens. Thank you for letting me know that... I’ll look around. Purchasing this lens did let me know my camera body needed a trip to the shop... good to know they fixed it and it’s not that. I almost want a new camera (drool) instead... the newer nikons don’t have an issue with this lens?

also fuzzy because of this issue?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother using this lens on a newer camera body. Nikon really doesn't have a good current 50mm f/1.4 that will keep up with the high-resolution camera sensors (24MP+.) In fact, even an "old" camera, like the Nikon D800, the 50mm f/1.4G did not make the "Recommended Lenses" list. Forget about anything current. In fact, no 50mm lens, either old or new made the Nikon D850 "Recommended Lenses" list:

Prime Lenses

• AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8D ED*
  • AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.8G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G

(Notice the lack of 50mm lenses in this spot?)

• AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED
  • AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II
  • AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
  • AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
  • PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED
  • PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED
  • PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED
  • PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D

Zoom lenses

• AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED*
  • AF-S NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II

Personally, I would even skip a few lenses on this list if you were to purchase a D850. Lenses marked with an asterisk (*) barely made the list and should really be skipped when it comes to a D850.

I honestly do not know why this lens has such and issue with the D700. It could be the optical formula, the D700's focusing system or a combination of both. This lens just sucks and is in need of a complete refresh. Before you go out forking good money for a new camera body, what lenses do you currently own? Also, the new camera's sensors START at 24MP, even for basic-level entry models. You will need horsepower on your computer plus enough storage capacity to handle a new camera body's Raw files. Personally, I'd keep your D700 and put that money towards a better / new computer. THEN we can talk about new cameras, after we talk lenses.

Yeah yeah yeah wishful thinking. I need to get my editing classes done before I go out and advertise again in my new town. Glad I found this out now.

what about reselling the lens to recoup? Where should I do that and am I awful for passing it on? What should I ask it’s been taken care of and I just got it last year for Xmas. Husband is going to kill me when u ask for another one ?

I have buyer's remorse when it comes to my D850. I got a really good deal on the camera body, and even used a few gift-cards to help lower the cost. I had no idea on how much money I would spend to support a D850. My iMac currently has 64GB of RAM, because it cried when I edited the massive D850 RAW Files. I had to purchase a new 24-70 f/2.8 VR Lens, because my 24-70G was only sharp in the center and I NEEDED VR to shoot at 1/60th of a second and I also had to upgrade my 70-200 to the newest version. The D850, while it's a fine camera, has a ton of infrastructure costs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed with my D4s and lenses. It would have saved me thousands of dollars.

New cameras are fun, but be careful what you wish for.

If the lens was purchased new last year, then send it to Nikon to have it repaired. Even with the shipping cost, it's cheaper than buying a new lens. (You pay to have it shipped to Nikon and then they will send it back to you.) Who knows, maybe they have come up with a solution by now.

There are two repair centers in the US, one on Long Island New York, the other just outside Los Angeles. Just be sure to send a copy of the proof-of-purchase (i.e. receipt,) along with the repair form that you will need to print out. The location that your lens will be repaired at depends on which side of the Mississippi River you are located. West is Los Angeles. East of the Mississippi, New York.

You can sell your lens at KEH.com. Keep in mind they will pay Pawn Shop Prices. Especially for a known problem-child lens, like the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G. If you sell it to a individual, like off of Craigslist or FB...I'm a firm believer in Karma. The universe will reverberate back what you throw out to it. It might take years, but it does happen.

For example, I've helped many people over the years, for free. I have seen lots of people have lenses and other fancy camera toys given to them as Christmas Gifts, Birthday Presents or even Valentine's Gifts. Here you go honey, this is that $2700 70-200 f/2.8E you've been wanting for your Photography "Business." I wish I had that situation. LOL! Well, after some years, I saved up enough money to buy a used Nikon D3s due to the fact that I always was outgrowing camera bodies every two years. I got fed up with having to fork out money all the time. So I bought a used D3s and I loved that camera. Unfortunately it needed to be sent to Nikon for repair after a few years of heavy use. 

Well since the D3s was a Professional Grade body and they don't sell many of them, parts are limited these days. Nikon BROKE my camera while it was in the shop. The parts were no longer available on the planet. Guess what happened? Nikon called me and offered me a fully refurbished D4s for the cost of the repair. I got a $4500 camera body with a brand new shutter, 90 Day Warranty, complete with accessories (except the manual, which I just downloaded) for $612.57.

That my dear, is Karma.

There are a few Authorized Nikon Repair Centers. Service Pro being one of them. Nikon stopped selling parts to 3rd party repair places, so "Joe's Camera Shop" can't get parts. KEH.com has a repair center and Service Pro is another that comes to mind now that you mentioned it. Give them a call. Heck, take your D700 along so they can see the problem. Be sure to bring the receipt. This is a Warranty Repair. US Nikon/Nikkor Glass come with a 5 year warranty.

Ah this makes sense. Going to explore all my options... I almost want to snag the cheaper nifty 50 and just repair the other in a couple months... I do have a sigma 70-200 I need repaired but I’m scared of that bill(maybe we could troubleshoot in another post?). Have a manual(analong??) macro lens from a film camera and the focus is great. Have a few other lenses but had them since I was a late teen and they’re not in the best shape but I might try them out today 

Edited by MJD

Two years ago I asked for my spyder monitor cal ?? yes it is a great blessing to get those as gifts.  I have a great uncle who is involved in all the grandkids lives and when I was in high school he actually helped me get my first D80. I saved up for the d700. Cant believe I waited so long for these classes. Oh well! Moving forward. 

Which place did you send yours to? ? nah that’s definitely karma you deserve it, always here to help us thank you. 

NikonUSA in NY, since I’m east of the Mississippi. 

Warning: I’m a Nikon OEM snob. I will never own a Sigma or Tamron lens. Often with third party lenses, you go through multiple copies to get a good one or are sending it into repair a few times to get it right. QC isn’t always the best, though they have made progress. 

You Sigma 70-200 issues, create a new thread. 

So it’s a soft focus issue with the camera body.. got a new lens still having soft focus - camera shop said mirror could be out of alignment, going to send the lens in to be married too. 

The 50mm f/1.4G is a worthless piece of crap. You are going down a rabbit hole and are just going to waste money. Seriously, when "Ask Brian" was on FB, I had 100's of threads about this stupid lens mounted with a D700. Even those who sent them in to be married / tweaked by Nikon had mixed results at best and really had in-consistent results.

Get rid of the lens. It's not going to work.

But! But! But! My husband bought....

Bought a piece of shit lens.

Even on other bodies, the 50mm f/1.4G is "better" but still as inconsistent. Plan on taking 3-5 shots to get one mostly in focus.

Third party lenses like Sigma, Tamron, etc. Plan on going through 3-4 lenses to get a good copy. Those companies aren't known for great Quality Control. So you can send in the body to have it looked at, but parts are really rare for that camera. Nikon doesn't even repair them anymore. It might be time for a new camera body. :/