Nikon ED AF-S 80-200 1.28 D

MJD

So I was wrong! It's been so long since I've taken it out of the case - I was thinking of what they had us use for the college newspaper / football games. Anyway, for one the auto focus is totally shot so I'm not sure there's much you can help me with - but when it was acting up it would freeze up my camera and I'd get an error message and I couldn't shoot with it unless I formatted and put in a fresh card, so I've been terrified to use it and its not totally practical all the time. But it is(was) a great lens.. as I mentioned we got it second hand. I guess my question would be do you think the repair might be work the cost?

Since this is the older AF-S 80-200 f/2.8D, I wouldn't bother repairing it. It's too old to perform well on today's modern cameras. On a D700, it might be "OK." It will probably run you around $500 or so to get it fixed and you can buy a used one in great shape for $849.

I still wouldn't put any money towards it. Save that money and get a new 70-200E lens. Yes, it's very expensive, but worth it. Always remember, Photography has NEVER been a cheap hobby. Sure the digital revolution helped A LOT and flooded the market with consumer-grade products, but the real glass and high-end bodies...they have always remained expensive.

? damn when did I get old all of the sudden everything I own is out of date! Haha. still going to to try to repair the belt like the vid shows.. If it'll at least function it'll be good practice.. I really only used it like.. in the woods.

Uhg taking off the top sleeve was a bust.. for one someone’s been in there.. or it’s had a major longtime rub/jam issue.. there were two brass rings.. one was in great shape the other all bent up. Had a hard time getting the focus ring to engage and (crosses head heart shoulders) a small rubber piece fell out from somewhere. 

This is will just have to be a investment further down the line.. when I was working for Automobile magazine and Popular mechanics it was a great tool. Not subbing for them as much these days and living a quieter life in the woods. We scored this lens at a great deal and it definitely paid for itself. It did get me my only shot in The New York Times, so RIP stout sally. 

• Like 1