New 16" MacBook Pro or ...?

Hello! 

I have decided to get a new computer. I am used to the Mac system so I will stay with that. I am eyeing up the new 16" MacBook Pro or a Mac computer. Is one better then the other for editing? I am used to doing my editing on on a 15" MacBook Pro. I'd love your input before purchasing. Also what specs should I get? As much as I love photography, I am not a techy person.

Thank you!!

Personally, I do not like laptops for photo-editing and prefer a desktop. There are many reasons and one of these days, I'm gong to write that article / FAQ. Let's start with the primary item: BUDGET. Mac laptops are very expensive to say the least, and you will get more horsepower & longevity out of a desktop. So how much are you looking to spend?

I answered your very same question in another thread...

"I’m just to write an article about these two new 16” MBP laptops. Yes, there is a performance difference from your current laptop, and between the two, the 2.3GHz ($2799) model is the better deal. Not only do you get double the HD capacity, you get a better video card as well. The important thing is to upgrade the RAM to 32GB in either model. I would also upgrade the Video Card to the 8GB Version. 

MBP laptops are sealed units and upgrading after the fact is damn near impossible. Unfortunately, Apple’s price on RAM is insanely expensive. The configuration that I’m recommending, with AppleCare should bring the cost to $3700 or so; I realize is an expensive pill to swallow. Apple wants you to “Go Big or Go Home” more than ever, especially with any model that has the "Pro" added to the title."

if you do decide to go with the lower MBP model, I’d still get 32GB RAM which adds $400 to the cost. So if you still want to pursue a MBP, I can give you my recommended configuration. If you want to go with a 27" iMac, I can do that as well.

Just let me know.

Looking at the new MacBook pro, these are the specs I was going to go with as it was what was suggested to me:

• 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

As far as the 27" iMac, I have no clue where to start or if I need a newer model or can go with an older model and get more for my money. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!