EHD user permission

Good morning Brian! I'm having trouble switching my external hard drive between my laptop and my pc. It will tell me that I lack permission, and that I must hit continue to run as an administrator. All seems well, but sometimes it won't open files and there's just a question mark instead of a thumbnail. Also, when I switch computers, it will tell me that my recycle bin is corrupt, and it won't let me continue until I empty it. I don't even know if any of this will make sense to you, as I'm recovering from the flu and I've only been able to handle one cup of coffee in the last 3 days! Your help is appreciated!

This is one of those tough problems and it sounds serious. Your problem is one that does not have one "fix" and it will be trial and error.

What Make / Model is the EHD?

What operating system is your laptop and what is running on your desktop?

Are you able to access the EHD on one computer or are you getting the error message on both? Also, how did you create the EHD's partition? Did you just start using or did you use some sort of software / come pre-loaded? Often, some HD manufacturers will use their own proprietary software to make a EHD compatible with both a MacOS and Windows, and this usually results in disaster when this software corrupts the HD.

How important are these files? Could you afford to lose them if they went "Poof?".

Do both of your login profiles on the laptop and desktop have Administrator Rights & Privileges? 

I would get over the flu first before we attempt anything. I need you at 100% for this.

EHD is Toshiba Canvio Connect II 2TB Portable Hard Drive (Black) Ordered March 7, 2016

I get the error message on both, but it will finally open. I have no idea what a partition is in this case. I think I just started using it straight off the truck.

The files are important to me. I'm ordering a new one as soon as I finish typing this message. 

Yes, both should have administrator rights. 

Flu sucks, but I've decided it's food poisoning. I'm much better, but not 100% today.

I suppose I'll need instruction on what to do when the new EHD gets here so I don't have this problem again. 

You're a peach!

Which computer do you have a better time with? The Desktop or Laptop?

What I want to do is prep the new EHD correctly and then attempt to copy a handful of files from the old HD and see what happens. 

Partitioning and Formatting a HD is easy but takes like 5 min to do. 

10-4.

Well, whichever device has the best chance of accessing the corrupted EHD is the one we want to use. First thing is to prep the new EHD before we try anything. Let me know when it arrives.

OK, great!

First, I want you to hook up your new EHD to your old computer and then right click on the Start Menu. A list will pop up. Select Disk Management.

Disk Management 1.JPG

A screen should appear like this:

Disk Management 2.jpg

OK. It looks like things are configured correctly and without any fancy partitioning software. Hook up the problem drive and try transferring some files that you can live without if things go wrong. Remember to Right-Click and select Copy  on the source files and then Right-Click and select Paste on the new WD Drive. Hopefully it will play nice. 

Actually, hold up. I forgot a step that I need you to check. My bad.

I want you to go back into Disk Management and Right Click on the Square for your new EHD (on your computer/in your posted example, select Disk 2) in the left column and select Properties:

Disk Management 3.JPG

Then click the Volumes Tab and look for the Partition Style, it should say GUID Partition Table (GPT). If there is ANYTHING else, let me know.

Disk Management 4.JPG

On 1/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, JoJo momo said:

So I carry on?

Yep. Just create a file folder structure. Get things organized now or at the very least tweak things. It will make it easier in the long run. You can delete both of those programs if you wish.