FX DX CROP D700

MJD

I have read that in DX mode the quality of the image goes down by about half - my question is - (sounds like a no brainer but)  For the lenses I have that aren’t FX, is it better to shoot in FX mode and try to recover that light loss and vignetting and crop after processing? i figure higher range of data in the photo is better than allowing for the crop. 

The difference between Crop and Full Frame on a D700 is that you cut the amount of pixels that the sensor uses. You go from 12.1MP to 5MP. Here is a run on sentence:

Crop mode changes the "Angle of View" which produces a magnifying effect, thereby changing the overall look of a photo, which can make you stand in a different spot than you normally would, which changes the Depth of Field. This Angle of View change is why you can "f/2.8 all the things" on a DX body, but you will find that the f/2.8 on a crop body is more like f/4 on a full frame body. The shallow DoF is much more noticeable on a FX body.

Clear as mud?

On a D700, if you use a DX lens on it, the camera would automatically flip to using 5MP. That's not enough for today's world. I wouldn't use Crop (DX) Mode or DX lenses on a FX body like a D700. You will only be working with the center-most portion of the sensor, and take a IQ hit.

So you have a D700, what lenses do you have?

Not a very impressive or compatible set; I’ll have to look for sure but 18-140dx 1.35 35mm DX afs 50 mm mentioned before. 50mm film lens and a 80-200 waiting in queue a la repair shop. The bill is a pretty one.. $440 but comparable to a used lens on eBay at least mine coming back to me will be verified working good condition. Had my first lens ever come back not worth repairing. Also a wide angle ds sigma 17-70. they’re okay. I’m comfortable with my 35mm, again my understanding is it’s more like a 50mm because of its specs. 

I read your list and keep referring to it from time to time. Dropped a lot of money on getting all this up and going - if I’m really going to get serious I know (and have always known) a well stocked fast optimal kit of lenses would be preemo, but we all know about that rabbit hole. Anyway my next big purchase will be the 85mm on the list. 

Oh, I know about dropping A LOT of money on this sh*t. Trust me. That's why I'm so hell bent on telling people to save up and get the good stuff. I'm a firm believer in the "Buy it Right - Buy it Once..." Philosophy. You'll want to avoid the 18-140DX and the 35mm 1.8DX lens on the D700. Trust me. Use your 50mm and 80-200 as they are full frame lenses. If you are looking for a zoom, you should look into the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G lens or even the 24-120 f/4 VR lens. For something wider, for not much money the Nikon 18-35 is affordable, and if you are going to be at f/8 or f/5.6 anyway, then getting a lens like a 14-24 f/2.8 might be a bit much.

Honestly? You could do quite nicely with a Nikon 35mm f/2.0 D, a 50mm f/1.8D lens and the 85mm f/1.8G. Combine that with a 80-200, you will have the bulk of your focal range taken care of.

Yes! Well I forgot to mention that a lot of my lens stock came from my d80! Haven’t invested much in a long time. Now in my early 30s always had an interest was semi professional with some nice resume points but kind of fell out 5 years ago after my first was born. I have two boys now, the other is 3. They run circles around me, nice to delve back into the craft and taking the right financial steps and educational steps. I miss my 80-200 should save to have that fixed first, bulky but handy. 

Honestly? I'd save for a newer 70-200 f/2.8G VR II lens instead of trying to fix the 80-200. Better yet, the 70-200 f/2.8E. That lens is Tack Sharp and is better in every way that its predecessors. There are two things I don't like about that lens, one is the price-tag the other is the stupid zoom ring is out front instead of being closer to the camera.