Time to upgrade to latest MAc OS system and other queries

Sandro

Hi Brian

I have a Mac Pro retina  15"  16GB ram bought in 2015. I use Time Machine to backup the OS system.  I am still using Mohave and have Photoshop, Bridge, Raw, CC 2019 and lightroom Classic 2019. I have been away from my photography for some time and now want to get back to my hobby. I also have an ASus laptop where I use an old purchased version of Lightroom.  I have all my files and photos saved on several HD Seagate 2 ter backup plus. I use a NFTS program to allow interchangeability between MAC & Microsoft.  I use CleanmyMac regularly. I have some questions for you.

Is it ok now to upgrade to the latest OS is it Catilina? or will I have to upgrade a bunch of programs ei Spider X Elite, NFTS and others like MS Office   

Adobe is telling me to upgrade the programs above, is it ok to do so? or will it cascade to a series of problems? 

i have a huge quantity of files on Cache of Bridge and the computer seems to be slowing down as well as heating up. ( I do shut down after each sessions) Can i clear the cache by dumping the folders  or do i need to save them?  I'm not sure how to manage this section. 

I appreciate you help! thanks 

Sandro 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:40 PM, Sandro said:

Is it ok now to upgrade to the latest OS is it Catilina?

Yes and No. Honestly? Since you are on a 2015 Mac, you aren't missing much with Catalina. To really take advantage of Catalina, you need a new Mac. I've had mixed reviews with people and 2015 Macs and Photoshop when working with Catalina. The video drivers that come with Catalina stop playing well with PS CC 2020 with the 2015 Mac models.

Any programs that are 32-bit based will flat out not work with Catalina. You will need to be using the latest and greatest PS CC 2020 with Catalina. Most of the bugs with PS and Catalina have been addressed, but I'd still hold off until later this year. There are several modules in PS that are 32-bit based, so 95% or so of it works with Catalina, the other 5% isn't compatible. The good news is with every update, it gets better. In addition, things like Calibration Software are often 32-bit based and if the manufacturer has orphaned your particular calibration device, you'll need to either purchase a new calibration tool or find out which work-around / patch will be needed to work with Catalina. The Spyder5 Series does have a update patch.

Is it ok now to upgrade to the latest OS is it Catilina? or will I have to upgrade a bunch of programs ei Spider X Elite, NFTS and others like MS Office 

Microsoft Office, you will need Office 365 and will be required to download the 64-bit version of the software to work with Catalina. If you just have MS Office by itself, like MS 2016, you might be able to download a 64-bit version or you might have to purchase Office 365. More and more software companies are going to a subscription-based software model. In my humble opinion, owning software will be a thing in the past in about 10 years.

Adobe is telling me to upgrade the programs above, is it ok to do so? or will it cascade to a series of problems? 

Yes. Upgrade. Since you are still on Mojave, there is no major issues that I'm aware of. It's when you update to Catalina do you have problems. I'm currently running Mojave myself on my 2017 iMac.

i have a huge quantity of files on Cache of Bridge and the computer seems to be slowing down as well as heating up. ( I do shut down after each sessions) Can i clear the cache by dumping the folders  or do i need to save them?  I'm not sure how to manage this section. 

The more crap you have on your HD, the slower it runs when it comes to a Mac. Especially if you are more than 80% full on ANY HD, INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL. When it comes to a Mac, both a Internal HD and External HD are mounted / treated in the same way. In addition, The more crap you have on your Mac Desktop the slower the damn thing runs. The quickest way to increase performance on a Mac is to clear off ALL...AND I MEAN ALL...FILES AND FOLDERS OFF OF YOUR DESKTOP!!! The reason is, the files that are stored on the desktop are treated as open windows / programs, or maybe a better term is a minimized Window. Got 1000 photos in a folder from a Wedding and a few sessions? That's 1001 "Open Files." Combine that with the current versions of PS and LR CC, and 16GB becomes really small. In fact, today's 16GB is yesterday's 8GB. In today's world, I recommend 16GB of RAM at a minimum and would prefer people get 32GB or even 64GB of RAM, especially if they have a high MegaPixel Camera.

Bridge...There is a way to purge your Bridge's Cache from within Adobe Bridge. Here is some info on how do do it. I would do it there first, before you try to do it outside the program.

Hi Brian, your answers were very clear thanks for that.   I discovered that Apple's Time machine does not backup cache files by default. Damien recommends to back up Bridge cache files before purging. Is there anyway i can do this without having to do a copy and paste thing?   Thanks again!