iMac 27" clearance model ok?

Dave73

Hi Brian,

Currently have an almost dead 2011 Macbook Pro that crashes consistently with LR.  Also we have a 2008 iMac but never had editing software on it.

I need something reliable to edit on and debating new MBPro or even a Windows laptop but I prefer to stay with Apple as I have enough challenges with Damiens classes anyway! 

Can you tell me if this iMac instore new but previous model/old stock about ($600 less than current model) will see me right, or an ok base to add more power?  

Many thanks, David

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 12.28.31 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 12.28.48 pm.png

Edited by Dave73

For a MBP built for photo editing, you start at the $2500 model and tweak things. Honestly, it's silly to spend $3600 on a MBP, because that's the price-point you are looking at with a MBP. 

• Like 1

There is a reason that it's $600 less. It's not upgradable. AT ALL!! 

Apple is trying to sell to the masses. To get the "better" Macs, you need to "Go Big or Go Home." 

While it's fine to purchase last year's model, you are looking for the $1799 27" iMac from last year. NOT the El Cheapo one. 

Thanks Brian, they are sold out anyway and those showing in the system are repair items. 

I'm in Sydney Australia so will check if any mid range iMacs are around. (they wouldn't have been at $1799 though)

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

Dave

Hey Dave, check out the "Refurbished Mac Store." I believe this is the Australia store. I'm thinking this is where you are looking. Have faith, Apple will get stuff in stock from time-to-time. But what you see listed is what they have. So if you do find a good deal, and have the funds, BUY IT!! Because they are 1st come 1st serve and that iMac could sell out from underneath you.

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Australia prices SUCK. My condolences. Here is the iMac specs that you should be looking for:

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.43.02 PM.png

Basically, you are looking for last year's A$2799.00 model.

• Like 1

Yep - I'm hearing you.

Is it worth crossing over to the dark side and getting Windows/PC just for LR and PS? I mean would I save that much $$'s?

Yeah, you would save a bunch. The problem is, converting and copying things over from a Mac to a Windows box could be a real pain. 

Specs are similar. Check out the threads in the Windows section on what to look for. 

If it could be a real pain for you, it will be disaster for me... I think I'll need to save some $'s and get the iMac in due course.

Thanks mate ! 

• Like 1