External monitor question

LCurry

Hello! 

I have an iMac and want to get an external monitor to use with it.

I would like to get this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EMB4L0I?camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EMB4L0I&fp=1&linkCode=as2&linkId=VAMVMGRJY4C5KIGL&pc_redir=T1&redirect=true&tag=httpwwwdamien-20

My question is how do I hook this up to the Mac? 

Side note, I have the Mac that you warn everyone NOT to get but that's all I have to work with for now.

Thanks!

Edited by LCurry
Spelling

So you have a 21.5" iMac. What model year is it?

If it has a Thunderbolt Port, I'd use a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort Cable. It even comes in a 3' length. If you have a older iMac, say from 2009-early 2011 and it only has a Mini Display Port, I'd use a Mini Display Port to DVI-D Cable. Dell Monitors usually come with DVI-D cables, so all you would need is to use this adapter. Hopefully you have a Thunderbolt Port and enough video memory to support a 2nd display. With today's software and dual monitor setups, 1GB of Video Memory is recommended at a minimum, preferably 2GB. PS with two monitors at that resolution should work fine with 1GB of video memory, but from what I've seen written by Adobe Tech Support, 2GB is the "Sweet Spot" when it comes to dual monitor setups. The reason is that current versions of PS use the VRAM to help with performance, and the better the graphics card and more VRAM that is available, the better PS likes it.

That said, you could have a 2009 21.5" iMac like me, that only has 512MB of dedicated video RAM, and would be reluctant setting up a 2nd display. Of course, It might work just fine, or there could be all sorts of lag and crashing when working in PS. But 512MB of video RAM could also work at a basic level. Just like Windows works with 2GB of RAM at a basic level. :) If your system only has 256MB of VRAM, I'd forget buying that 2nd display. 

Bottom Line: Cable Matters stuff works really well for the price. If your system has at least 1GB of dedicated Video Memory, you shouldn't have any major issues.